    think I could handle it.

    Need unbiased opinions.

    Jon Turlington

    Jon Turlington, Feb 6, 2007

  2. Jon Turlington wrote:
    > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a
    > little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I
    > think I could handle it.
    >
    > Need unbiased opinions.
    >
    > Jon Turlington

    well java is going to need a runtime environment. You will probably be
    limited to Microsoft's MFC since its libraries are already in Windows
    but needing to support just about all version of Windows back to 98 may
    require additional code since the API has changed over the years.

    Brandon McCombs, Feb 6, 2007

  3. On Feb 6, 2:16 pm, "Jon Turlington" <> wrote:
    > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.

    Scratch Java off the list then. It is on many
    older machines, and most modern systems,
    but it will never be on all.

    > Need unbiased opinions.

    Get over your '100% solution with no RE' attitude.
    That is impractical and unattainable.

    Once you get beyond that, you might look
    to a web start launch for the older Java
    based machines (JWS includes a splash
    functionality), or use Java 6.0 for the most
    modern PC's.

    As an aside, these are all providing splash
    screens for Java applications and applets, rather
    than 'a CD' as such. You might be able to
    invoke the 'splash application' at disk load though..

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 6, 2007
  4. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > As an aside, these are all providing splash
    > screens for Java applications and applets, rather
    > than 'a CD' as such. You might be able to
    > invoke the 'splash application' at disk load though..

    If all he wants is a splash screen - you could do this in C/C++ win32 API
    and it would run no problem on all desired platforms - though to avoid
    writing or illegally copying JPG decompression code - you will find yourself
    using Bitmaps. (Or - since he doesn't know C++ very well he could hire
    someone pretty cheap at one of those places like rentacoder or similar. I
    suggest embedding the image in the EXE file itself) Definitely test on
    EVERY version of windows you can find though - cause you never know when MS
    will throw you a curve ball.

    As for the application itself . . that would be a little silly to not
    require a framework.

    I had a link for a tutorial to make CDs autorun on windows once. Don't
    remember where it was, but I think all you need to do is add some file
    called Autorun (or similar) to the root directory with run information in
    it.

    --
    LTP

    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

    Luc The Perverse, Feb 6, 2007
  5. On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 20:40:20 -0800, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Feb 6, 2:16 pm, "Jon Turlington" <> wrote:
    >> I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    >> install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.

    > Scratch Java off the list then. It is on many
    > older machines, and most modern systems,
    > but it will never be on all.

    But the OP can put it on the CD and use a starter executable
    to run the app directly off the CD without any previous
    installation.

    >> Need unbiased opinions.

    You could probably pack some 1.3.x JRE on the CD, but
    honestly, a multi-megabyte JRE just for displaying a
    splash screen seems a little bit over-the-top to me.

    I'd recommend PureBasic for building a tiny standalone
    win32 executable. If you're careful with the APIs you use,
    you should be fine on every Win9x or later.

    > Get over your '100% solution with no RE' attitude.
    > That is impractical and unattainable.

    Not if you use the right tools and limit yourself
    to Windows systems in the "Win9x, WinNT and newer class".

    Finally, there should be *many* "CD menu" applications
    out there ... I dimly remember using one about 5 years
    ago, where you could choose different skins and define
    a few actions via a .ini file.

    s.

    Stefan Schmiedl, Feb 6, 2007
  6. On Feb 7, 12:00 am, Stefan Schmiedl <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 20:40:20 -0800, Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > On Feb 6, 2:16 pm, "Jon Turlington" <> wrote:
    > >> I need to develop a CD slpash screen ...

    > > Get over your '100% solution with no RE' attitude.
    > > That is impractical and unattainable.

    > Not if you use the right tools and limit yourself
    > to Windows systems in the "Win9x, WinNT and newer class".

    As hard as this may be to believe, CD's are
    also supported on systems like MacOS and
    Linux, nowadays.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 6, 2007
  7. On Feb 7, 1:07 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 12:00 am, Stefan Schmiedl <> wrote:

    > > > Get over your '100% solution with no RE' attitude.
    > > > That is impractical and unattainable.

    > > Not if you use the right tools and limit yourself
    > > to Windows systems in the "Win9x, WinNT and newer class".

    > As hard as this may be to believe, CD's are
    > also supported on systems like MacOS and
    > Linux, nowadays.

    But given the subject line (which I missed)
    'Windows 98 Through Windows Vista Programming.',
    your point was quite logical.

    (I'm with you now, if somewhat late.)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 6, 2007
  8. On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:24:55 -0800, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Feb 7, 1:07 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    >> As hard as this may be to believe, CD's are
    >> also supported on systems like MacOS and
    >> Linux, nowadays.

    > But given the subject line (which I missed)
    > 'Windows 98 Through Windows Vista Programming.',
    > your point was quite logical.
    >
    > (I'm with you now, if somewhat late.)

    I had to restrain myself from replying "no autostart on *my* linux box"
    several times, too :)

    s.

    Stefan Schmiedl, Feb 6, 2007
  9. Jon Turlington

    Oliver Wong Guest

    > On Feb 7, 12:00 am, Stefan Schmiedl <> wrote:

    >> > Get over your '100% solution with no RE' attitude.
    >> > That is impractical and unattainable.

    >> Not if you use the right tools and limit yourself
    >> to Windows systems in the "Win9x, WinNT and newer class".

    > As hard as this may be to believe, CD's are
    > also supported on systems like MacOS and
    > Linux, nowadays.

    The subject line hints that the OP is only interested in Win98 to Win
    Vista (i.e. lack of support for Win3.1, Linux and MacOS is tolerable).

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Feb 6, 2007
  10. Jon Turlington

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

    > I had to restrain myself from replying "no autostart on *my* linux box"
    > several times, too :)

    Come to that, there's no autostart on any of my Windows boxes...

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 6, 2007
  11. On Feb 7, 2:36 am, Stefan Schmiedl <> wrote:
    > I had to restrain myself from replying "no autostart on *my* linux box"
    > several times, too :)

    I 'save up' my restraint for c.l.j.help. ;-)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 6, 2007
  12. Jon Turlington

    ck Guest

    On Feb 6, 8:16 am, "Jon Turlington" <> wrote:
    > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a
    > little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I
    > think I could handle it.
    >
    > Need unbiased opinions.
    >
    > Jon Turlington

    I guess you can do this using flash. Export the flash movie to .exe
    and write an autorun script. I presume that you already know how to
    write autorun else refer to http://www.phdcc.com/shellrun/autorun.htm

    --
    Ck
    http://www.gfour.net

    ck, Feb 6, 2007
  13. On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:33:49 +0000, Chris Uppal wrote:

    > Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
    >
    >> I had to restrain myself from replying "no autostart on *my* linux box"
    >> several times, too :)

    > Come to that, there's no autostart on any of my Windows boxes...

    "You're lucky! Full moon tonight." -- nethack

    s.

    Stefan Schmiedl, Feb 6, 2007