    think I could handle it.

    Need unbiased opinions.

    Jon Turlington
    Jon Turlington, Feb 6, 2007

  2. Jon Turlington

    Andre Kostur Guest

    "Jon Turlington" <> wrote in news:1170731660.632715.219820
    @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a
    > little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I
    > think I could handle it.
    >
    > Need unbiased opinions.

    Unbiased opinion: You're asking the wrong crowd. You're asking a very
    Win32-specific question (I suppose Win64 as well...). comp.lang.c++
    discusses Standard C++ only. You're far better off asking in a newsgroup
    with "microsoft" in its name.
    Andre Kostur, Feb 6, 2007

  3. Jon Turlington

    Alfred Guest

    On Feb 5, 10:17 pm, Andre Kostur <> wrote:
    > "Jon Turlington" <> wrote in news:1170731660.632715.219820
    > @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    > > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.

    > > Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a
    > > little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I
    > > think I could handle it.

    > > Need unbiased opinions.

    > Unbiased opinion: You're asking the wrong crowd. You're asking a very
    > Win32-specific question (I suppose Win64 as well...). comp.lang.c++
    > discusses Standard C++ only. You're far better off asking in a newsgroup
    > with "microsoft" in its name.

    He's right, but I guess I felt sorry for you (especially since you're
    still on Windows instead of Ubuntu, tee hee). So, here's what I
    suggest, based on my experience. You need to learn at least C or C#
    for this, and Visual C++.NET is probably the option for you on your
    given platform, although I have to hack and spit up when saying ".NET"
    in a given sentence, as if Micro$oft suddenly discovered how to make
    their products work for the Internet. Anyway, C++ might be overkill.
    Okay, once on C or C#, you need to learn what the heck a static
    library and static application is and learn how to make one. Basically
    what this means is that instead of using the framework (shared DLLs)
    on Windows which might not be there on a given system either now or in
    the future, your static libraries are compiled for a lower level than
    that and are compiled directly into the single EXE. When your CD is
    inserted, it calls a little hidden INI file (of which I've forgotten
    the name, but if you stick in a CD that does this, go looking for one
    and you'll find it). You also have to burn the CD in a particular
    format. (This is documented on Microsoft's website.) Okay, once you
    have that, the INI file says what to launch, and you tell it the name
    of your single EXE that has everything inside to draw that graphic
    image on the screen. It's not going to be that difficult to use C# to
    draw this and wait in a loop until it has copied certain installer
    files out to the %temp% folder to then begin your other application
    you were hoping to load. And I hope Microsoft has still permitted a
    way for people to compile everything into a single EXE rather than
    require runtime libraries on the system, at least with C#, C, or C++.
    (Granted, yeah, every other language might require the runtime.)

    Now, if you want to just purchase a product that does this, I think
    InstallShield sells something called DemoShield. You basically use
    DemoShield to make exactly what you're talking about here, and then
    use InstallShield to build the installer for the rest of your
    application. (InstallShield, that is, unless you're making a
    presentation kind of CD instead of software.)
    Alfred, Feb 6, 2007
  4. Jon Turlington

    Wayne Marsh Guest

    Alfred wrote:

    > He's right, but I guess I felt sorry for you (especially since you're
    > still on Windows instead of Ubuntu, tee hee). So, here's what I
    > suggest, based on my experience.

    *SNIP*

    So, not only are you off-topic, but you completely fail to fulfill what
    the guy asked for by being biased and suggesting a solution involving a
    framework and large dependencies.

    SIGH.

    Also, how is C++ overkill?
    Wayne Marsh, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Jon Turlington

    John Carson Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 5, 10:17 pm, Andre Kostur <> wrote:
    >> "Jon Turlington" <> wrote in
    >> @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >> > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to
    >> > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc.

    >> > Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a
    >> > little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I
    >> > think I could handle it.

    >> > Need unbiased opinions.

    >> Unbiased opinion: You're asking the wrong crowd. You're asking a very
    >> Win32-specific question (I suppose Win64 as well...). comp.lang.c++
    >> discusses Standard C++ only. You're far better off asking in a newsgroup
    >> with "microsoft" in its name.

    > He's right, but I guess I felt sorry for you (especially since you're
    > still on Windows instead of Ubuntu, tee hee). So, here's what I
    > suggest, based on my experience.

    Replying to off-topic posts by talking through your hat does no-one any
    good. C# requires the .Net framework, which is more than 20 MB. Writing the
    program in C offers no advantages over C++.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Feb 6, 2007
  6. Jon Turlington

    Alfred Guest

    On Feb 6, 4:39 am, "John Carson" <>
    wrote:
    > "Alfred" <> wrote in message

    > > On Feb 5, 10:17 pm, Andre Kostur <> wrote:
    > >> "Jon Turlington" <> wrote in
    > >> @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > >> Unbiased opinion: You're asking the wrong crowd. You're asking a very
    > >> Win32-specific question (I suppose Win64 as well...). comp.lang.c++
    > >> discusses Standard C++ only. You're far better off asking in a newsgroup
    > >> with "microsoft" in its name.

    > > He's right, but I guess I felt sorry for you (especially since you're
    > > still on Windows instead of Ubuntu, tee hee). So, here's what I
    > > suggest, based on my experience.

    > Replying to off-topic posts by talking through your hat does no-one any
    > good. C# requires the .Net framework, which is more than 20 MB. Writing the
    > program in C offers no advantages over C++.
    >
    > --
    > John Carson

    Okay guys. Lesson learned. I'll straighten up.
    Alfred, Feb 6, 2007