Windows authentication for web service client??

Kevin Yu

hi all

got a question here, a web service secure mode is set to "windows", on the
client side

when supplying the credentials, it's like this:

somewebservice.Authentication ssoAuth = new somewebservice.Authentication();

ssoAuth.PreAuthenticate = true;

ssoAuth.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

from the info here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...edentialCacheClassDefaultCredentialsTopic.asp

the defaultcredential should supply the current security context that the
client is running, but in my case the client is another web service running

on another server, now by default the account that the client(the calling
web service) is running under ASPNET account,

so on the host(somewebservice), I should add the clientdomain\ASPNET account
into the windows account?

Brock Allen

The ASPNET account is a local account, so the other machine or domain wouldn't
know about it. You can either run you web app under a different account,
but that affects the rest of the code in there too. The other approach is
to have a dedicated account (instead of using the current identity of ASPNET)
that you can use to do the authentication and then use those credentials
from the client.

Kevin Yu

I think impersonation will do , enable impersonation but don't specified the
user, use code call the web service with a different username/password.

Kevin Yu

but the problem with impersonation in the code is after LogonUser() win32
call, will the defaultcredentials be set to the new credentials then?

solex

I'm having a similar problem

I have a web service that make a webDav request to Exchange.

I have impersonation on but when I use the defaultCredentials in the web
services to make the webdav reqeust I get an Unauthorized 401 error. My
credentials have rights to make this request and I'm at my wits end trying
to figure it out.

The service works if I hard code my Network credentials in the service but
does not otherwise.

Any help with this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Kevin Yu

solex said:
I'm having a similar problem

I have a web service that make a webDav request to Exchange.

I have impersonation on but when I use the defaultCredentials in the web
services to make the webdav reqeust I get an Unauthorized 401 error. My
credentials have rights to make this request and I'm at my wits end trying
to figure it out.

The service works if I hard code my Network credentials in the service but
does not otherwise.

Hardcoded into your code? create a credential instead of using the
defaultcredentials?

I thought one can only create credential for "basic" or "digest"
authentication mode.

I try implicit impersonation, it won't work, even if you are impersonating,
the web service has to
put the credential on the soap message in order for it to be authenticated,
because that's
all the hosting service see when interacting with each other. don't want to
do explicit impersonation.

in .net 2.0, there will be a better support or even WSE 2.0, but this is not
my options here.
since if we were to use WSE 2.0, there will be a long process of paper work
and testing and questioning.....

solex

Kevin,
Thanks for responding, if you (or anyone) sees anything obviously wrong
with the below summary please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

I have the following settings
Web config:
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<identity impersonate="true" />

IIS:
Anonymous access has been disabled and Integraged Security is the
only access that is enabled.

Client:
When calling the web service I make sure that I am passing the
defaultCredentials from the CredentialCache.

I hardcoded a credential using the following code and it works

Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
HttpWebRequest)
Dim MyCredentialCache = New System.Net.CredentialCache
MyCredentialCache.Add(New System.Uri(URI), "NTLM", _
New System.Net.NetworkCredential("myUserID", "myPassword", "myDomain"))

Request.Credentials = MyCredentialCache

make my http WEBDAV request here ...

Return (Response)

But this does not work:

Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
HttpWebRequest)

Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
make my http WEBDAV request here ...

Return (Response)

Nor does this:

Dim impersonationContext As
System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext
Dim currentWindowsIdentity As System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity

currentWindowsIdentity = CType(mobjUser.Identity,
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity)
impersonationContext = currentWindowsIdentity.Impersonate()

Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
HttpWebRequest)

Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

make my http WEBDAV request here ...

impersonationContext.Undo()

Return (Response)

Kevin Yu

solex said:
[...]

ok. CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials will return the credentials that
client is running under.
so it doens't matter what you set before the line:

Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

it will always return the default credential for the request, but in the
working code, since you set
credentials in the credentialscache for that particular request URI, so that
when the client making
calls to the destinated service, it will use that credential for the
request, that's why it works.

Nor does this:

Dim impersonationContext As
System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext
Dim currentWindowsIdentity As System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity

currentWindowsIdentity = CType(mobjUser.Identity,
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity)
impersonationContext = currentWindowsIdentity.Impersonate()

Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
HttpWebRequest)

Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

make my http WEBDAV request here ...

impersonationContext.Undo()

Return (Response)

I have try the same approach using implicity impersonation, what you are
doing here
is the same as using this line: Request.Credentials =
CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
since you use this call to get the current identity: currentWindowsIdentity
= CType(mobjUser.Identity,
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity), then you do this:
Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
thus in fact you are doing the same thing twice.

it seems that doing impersonation won't change the
defaultcredential, Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
will always return the credentials that the client is running under as I
mentioned
above.

I use this code from msdn to do impersonation:

#region Public Methods

public bool ImpersonateValidUser()

{

WindowsIdentity tempWindowsIdentity;

IntPtr token = IntPtr.Zero;

IntPtr tokenDuplicate = IntPtr.Zero;

if(RevertToSelf())

{

if(LogonUserA(_userName, _domain, _password, LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE,

LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT, ref token) != 0)

{

if(DuplicateToken(token, 2, ref tokenDuplicate) != 0)

{

tempWindowsIdentity = new WindowsIdentity(tokenDuplicate);

impersonationContext = tempWindowsIdentity.Impersonate();

if (impersonationContext != null)

{

CloseHandle(token);

CloseHandle(tokenDuplicate);

return true;

if(token!= IntPtr.Zero)

CloseHandle(token);

if(tokenDuplicate!=IntPtr.Zero)

CloseHandle(tokenDuplicate);

return false;

}

//reverse the security context

public void UndoImpersonation()

{

if(impersonationContext!=null)

impersonationContext.Undo();

}

#endregion

#region Win32 calls

[DllImport("advapi32.dll")]

private static extern int LogonUserA(String lpszUserName,

String lpszDomain,

String lpszPassword,

int dwLogonType,

int dwLogonProvider,

ref IntPtr phToken);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]

private static extern int DuplicateToken(IntPtr hToken,

int impersonationLevel,

ref IntPtr hNewToken);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]

private static extern bool RevertToSelf();

[DllImport("kernel32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto)]

private static extern bool CloseHandle(IntPtr handle);

#endregion

}

in conclusion, only when the correct credential in the credentialsCache for
that
request (that particular URI), it request have access permission.

thanks for your code. I will give it a try.

solex

Kevin,

My problem is that the DefaultCredentials is NOT working. If I hard code
the credentials using my uid/password and domain it works fine as shown in
my first example.

Ideally I want the web service and a subsequent call to Exchange (via
WebDAV) to run completely under the users id.

Thanks,
Dan

Kevin Yu said:
solex said:
[...]

The bottom line is when enable integrated windows authentication for a
service (web app, web service etc)
the client need to supply proper credential to the service. now as I
memtion, DefaultCredentials will always
return the credential that the client is running under. so by default, the
web service is running ASPNET account.
you can however config the web service(I assume that's the client) to run
under a different account.

I am not sure what you mean "users id" here, if you mean the login users,
then you can set the impersonate=true
in the web.config file. so that calls to the WebDAV will use the login
users' credentials.

HTH

Kevin

Kevin Yu said:
solex said:
[...]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref
/html/frlrfSystemNetCredentialCacheClassDefaultCredentialsTopic.asp

the defaultcredential should supply the current security context
that
the client is running, but in my case the client is another web
service running

on another server, now by default the account that the client(the
calling web service) is running under ASPNET account,

so on the host(somewebservice), I should add the clientdomain\ASPNET
account into the windows account?

solex

Kevin,

I appreciate your response.

I guess what I am saying here is that it is not working as advertised. I
must put together a sample example, but for some reason the users
credentials are lost when making the WebDAV request. I get a 401
unauthorized error.

Thanks,
Dan

Kevin Yu said:
[...]

Keith Elder

If you are posting to WEBDAV it is my understanding that you cannot use
Integrated authentication since you HAVE to pass it the username and the
password in the network credentials. I was going to try to write some
information to user's calendars and saw several articles on doing it via
WEBDAV. However, you have to ask them for their password and pass it
along. This makes it totally useless as far as I am concerned.

If someone knows a way to not have to pass the password through that
would be great but I haven't seen anything on how to do it anywhere.

-Keith