Windows authentication for web service client??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Kevin Yu, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    hi all

    got a question here, a web service secure mode is set to "windows", on the
    client side

    when supplying the credentials, it's like this:

    somewebservice.Authentication ssoAuth = new somewebservice.Authentication();

    ssoAuth.PreAuthenticate = true;

    ssoAuth.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

    from the info here

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...edentialCacheClassDefaultCredentialsTopic.asp

    the defaultcredential should supply the current security context that the
    client is running, but in my case the client is another web service running

    on another server, now by default the account that the client(the calling
    web service) is running under ASPNET account,

    so on the host(somewebservice), I should add the clientdomain\ASPNET account
    into the windows account?

    Kevin Yu, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Kevin Yu

    Brock Allen Guest

    The ASPNET account is a local account, so the other machine or domain wouldn't
    know about it. You can either run you web app under a different account,
    but that affects the rest of the code in there too. The other approach is
    to have a dedicated account (instead of using the current identity of ASPNET)
    that you can use to do the authentication and then use those credentials
    from the client.

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    I think impersonation will do , enable impersonation but don't specified the
    user, use code call the web service with a different username/password.

    Kevin Yu, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    but the problem with impersonation in the code is after LogonUser() win32
    call, will the defaultcredentials be set to the new credentials then?

    Kevin Yu, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Kevin Yu

    solex Guest

    I'm having a similar problem

    I have a web service that make a webDav request to Exchange.

    I have impersonation on but when I use the defaultCredentials in the web
    services to make the webdav reqeust I get an Unauthorized 401 error. My
    credentials have rights to make this request and I'm at my wits end trying
    to figure it out.

    The service works if I hard code my Network credentials in the service but
    does not otherwise.

    Any help with this would also be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    solex, Apr 14, 2005
  6. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    "solex" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having a similar problem
    >
    > I have a web service that make a webDav request to Exchange.
    >
    > I have impersonation on but when I use the defaultCredentials in the web
    > services to make the webdav reqeust I get an Unauthorized 401 error. My
    > credentials have rights to make this request and I'm at my wits end trying
    > to figure it out.
    >
    > The service works if I hard code my Network credentials in the service but
    > does not otherwise.

    Hardcoded into your code? create a credential instead of using the
    defaultcredentials?

    I thought one can only create credential for "basic" or "digest"
    authentication mode.

    I try implicit impersonation, it won't work, even if you are impersonating,
    the web service has to
    put the credential on the soap message in order for it to be authenticated,
    because that's
    all the hosting service see when interacting with each other. don't want to
    do explicit impersonation.

    in .net 2.0, there will be a better support or even WSE 2.0, but this is not
    my options here.
    since if we were to use WSE 2.0, there will be a long process of paper work
    and testing and questioning.....

    Kevin Yu, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Kevin Yu

    solex Guest

    Kevin,
    Thanks for responding, if you (or anyone) sees anything obviously wrong
    with the below summary please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    I have the following settings
    Web config:
    <authentication mode="Windows" />
    <identity impersonate="true" />

    IIS:
    Anonymous access has been disabled and Integraged Security is the
    only access that is enabled.

    Client:
    When calling the web service I make sure that I am passing the
    defaultCredentials from the CredentialCache.

    I hardcoded a credential using the following code and it works

    Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
    HttpWebRequest)
    Dim MyCredentialCache = New System.Net.CredentialCache
    MyCredentialCache.Add(New System.Uri(URI), "NTLM", _
    New System.Net.NetworkCredential("myUserID", "myPassword", "myDomain"))

    Request.Credentials = MyCredentialCache

    make my http WEBDAV request here ...

    Return (Response)

    But this does not work:

    Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
    HttpWebRequest)

    Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    make my http WEBDAV request here ...

    Return (Response)

    Nor does this:

    Dim impersonationContext As
    System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext
    Dim currentWindowsIdentity As System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity

    currentWindowsIdentity = CType(mobjUser.Identity,
    System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity)
    impersonationContext = currentWindowsIdentity.Impersonate()

    Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
    HttpWebRequest)

    Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

    make my http WEBDAV request here ...

    impersonationContext.Undo()

    Return (Response)

    solex, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    "solex" <> wrote in message
    > Kevin,
    > Thanks for responding, if you (or anyone) sees anything obviously wrong
    > with the below summary please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan
    >
    > I have the following settings
    > Web config:
    > <authentication mode="Windows" />
    > <identity impersonate="true" />
    >
    > IIS:
    > Anonymous access has been disabled and Integraged Security is the
    > only access that is enabled.
    >
    > Client:
    > When calling the web service I make sure that I am passing the
    > defaultCredentials from the CredentialCache.
    >
    > I hardcoded a credential using the following code and it works
    >
    > Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    > Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
    > HttpWebRequest)
    > Dim MyCredentialCache = New System.Net.CredentialCache
    > MyCredentialCache.Add(New System.Uri(URI), "NTLM", _
    > New System.Net.NetworkCredential("myUserID", "myPassword",

    "myDomain"))

    > Request.Credentials = MyCredentialCache
    >
    > make my http WEBDAV request here ...
    >
    > Return (Response)
    >
    > But this does not work:
    >
    > Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    > Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
    > HttpWebRequest)
    >
    > Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    > make my http WEBDAV request here ...
    >
    > Return (Response)

    ok. CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials will return the credentials that
    client is running under.
    so it doens't matter what you set before the line:

    Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

    it will always return the default credential for the request, but in the
    working code, since you set
    credentials in the credentialscache for that particular request URI, so that
    when the client making
    calls to the destinated service, it will use that credential for the
    request, that's why it works.

    > Nor does this:
    >
    > Dim impersonationContext As
    > System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext
    > Dim currentWindowsIdentity As

    System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity

    > currentWindowsIdentity = CType(mobjUser.Identity,
    > System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity)
    > impersonationContext = currentWindowsIdentity.Impersonate()
    >
    > Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    > Dim Response As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    > Dim Request As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create(URI),
    > HttpWebRequest)
    >
    > Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    >
    > make my http WEBDAV request here ...
    >
    > impersonationContext.Undo()
    >
    > Return (Response)

    I have try the same approach using implicity impersonation, what you are
    doing here
    is the same as using this line: Request.Credentials =
    CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    since you use this call to get the current identity: currentWindowsIdentity
    = CType(mobjUser.Identity,
    > System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity), then you do this:

    Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    thus in fact you are doing the same thing twice.

    it seems that doing impersonation won't change the
    defaultcredential, Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
    will always return the credentials that the client is running under as I
    mentioned
    above.

    I use this code from msdn to do impersonation:

    #region Public Methods

    public bool ImpersonateValidUser()

    {

    WindowsIdentity tempWindowsIdentity;

    IntPtr token = IntPtr.Zero;

    IntPtr tokenDuplicate = IntPtr.Zero;

    if(RevertToSelf())

    {

    if(LogonUserA(_userName, _domain, _password, LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE,

    LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT, ref token) != 0)

    {

    if(DuplicateToken(token, 2, ref tokenDuplicate) != 0)

    {

    tempWindowsIdentity = new WindowsIdentity(tokenDuplicate);

    impersonationContext = tempWindowsIdentity.Impersonate();

    if (impersonationContext != null)

    {

    CloseHandle(token);

    CloseHandle(tokenDuplicate);

    return true;

    if(token!= IntPtr.Zero)

    CloseHandle(token);

    if(tokenDuplicate!=IntPtr.Zero)

    CloseHandle(tokenDuplicate);

    return false;

    }

    //reverse the security context

    public void UndoImpersonation()

    {

    if(impersonationContext!=null)

    impersonationContext.Undo();

    }

    #endregion

    #region Win32 calls

    [DllImport("advapi32.dll")]

    private static extern int LogonUserA(String lpszUserName,

    String lpszDomain,

    String lpszPassword,

    int dwLogonType,

    int dwLogonProvider,

    ref IntPtr phToken);

    [DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]

    private static extern int DuplicateToken(IntPtr hToken,

    int impersonationLevel,

    ref IntPtr hNewToken);

    [DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]

    private static extern bool RevertToSelf();

    [DllImport("kernel32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto)]

    private static extern bool CloseHandle(IntPtr handle);

    #endregion

    }

    in conclusion, only when the correct credential in the credentialsCache for
    that
    request (that particular URI), it request have access permission.

    thanks for your code. I will give it a try.

    Kevin Yu, Apr 18, 2005
  9. Kevin Yu

    solex Guest

    Kevin,

    My problem is that the DefaultCredentials is NOT working. If I hard code
    the credentials using my uid/password and domain it works fine as shown in
    my first example.

    Ideally I want the web service and a subsequent call to Exchange (via
    WebDAV) to run completely under the users id.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    solex, Apr 18, 2005
  10. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    Dan

    The bottom line is when enable integrated windows authentication for a
    service (web app, web service etc)
    the client need to supply proper credential to the service. now as I
    memtion, DefaultCredentials will always
    return the credential that the client is running under. so by default, the
    web service is running ASPNET account.
    you can however config the web service(I assume that's the client) to run
    under a different account.

    I am not sure what you mean "users id" here, if you mean the login users,
    then you can set the impersonate=true
    in the web.config file. so that calls to the WebDAV will use the login
    users' credentials.

    HTH

    Kevin

    Kevin Yu, Apr 18, 2005
  11. Kevin Yu

    solex Guest

    Kevin,

    I appreciate your response.

    I guess what I am saying here is that it is not working as advertised. I
    must put together a sample example, but for some reason the users
    credentials are lost when making the WebDAV request. I get a 401
    unauthorized error.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    solex, Apr 18, 2005
  12. Kevin Yu

    Keith Elder Guest

    If you are posting to WEBDAV it is my understanding that you cannot use
    Integrated authentication since you HAVE to pass it the username and the
    password in the network credentials. I was going to try to write some
    information to user's calendars and saw several articles on doing it via
    WEBDAV. However, you have to ask them for their password and pass it
    along. This makes it totally useless as far as I am concerned.

    If someone knows a way to not have to pass the password through that
    would be great but I haven't seen anything on how to do it anywhere.

    -Keith

    Keith Elder, Apr 19, 2005
  13. Kevin Yu

    Kevin Yu Guest

    I think you can try and get the login user's credential from teh current
    thread if you have impersonate = true.
    and pass it to the web service call.

    Kevin Yu, Apr 19, 2005
  14. Kevin Yu

    solex Guest

    Kevin,

    In my experience so far this simply does not work.

    Dan

    solex, Apr 20, 2005