Windows authentication from ASP.NET to SQL Server

Nils Magnus Englund

Hello,

I am having trouble using Integrated Windows Authentication between our
intranet server and our database server, both of which are on our local
domain.

Windows authentication works for our intranet server - my domain user
"DOM\nme" is correctly authenticated and authorized to view the ASP.NET page
on our intranet. In Web.config, I have both <identity impersonate="true" />
and <authentication type="Windows" />. I have disabled anonymous access in
IIS 6.0.

Windows authentication also works for the SQL Server; when logged on to the
domain, I can start Query Analyzer and connect to the SQL Server using
Windows authentication. Permissions on the SQL Server are also correctly set
up.

However, problems arise when I want to connect to the SQL Server from the
ASP.NET page - I get the fairly common error message below:

Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.

Although I do get a lot of hits when searching for this specific error, I
still can't seem to find the cause of the problem.

The connection string I'm using to connect to the SQL Server is:
"Server=DB;Integrated Security=SSPI;Database=IntranetDB".

When setting <identity impersonate="false">, I get the error message "Login
failed for user 'DOM\INTRANET$'." - DOM\INTRANET$ is the hostname of the
intranet server.

In the database servers event log, I can see two events (supplied below)
after trying to authenticate (unsuccessfully) from the ASP.NET application
to the SQL Server as "DOM\nme".

What do I need to do to let users use Windows authentication against the DB
server as well?

Regards,
Nils Magnus Englund

(event log entries follows...)

Date: 08.08.2005
Source: Security
Time: 15:14:55
Category: Logon/Logoff
Type: Success Audit
Event ID: 540
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: DB

Successful Network Logon:
User Name:
Domain:
Logon ID: (0x0,0x5CE408)
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: INTRANET
Logon GUID: -
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -
Caller Process ID: -
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: -
Source Port: -

Date: 08.08.2005
Source: Security
Time: 15:14:55
Category: Logon/Logoff
Type: Success Audit
Event ID: 538
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: DB

User Logoff:
User Name: ANONYMOUS LOGON
Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Logon ID: (0x0,0x5CE408)
Logon Type: 3

Paul Clement

¤ Hello,
¤
¤ I am having trouble using Integrated Windows Authentication between our
¤ intranet server and our database server, both of which are on our local
¤ domain.

Replied in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)