Windows authentication on a Web service returning Access Denied (401).

Daniel Bass

Hey,

[ Background ]
I've been asked to look into network security where an IIS virtual directory
is configure to not have anonymous access, but rather to go with the windows
authentication (what the user signs in as at client). This is in the context
of a ASP.Net web service running on an intranet.

[ What I have done ]
- I've ticked and unticked all the right boxes in IIS.
- I've also added the
"myserviceproxy.Credentials =
System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;"
to the client side [ Web / Windows ] Application so that they are passed
through to the server for the request message.
- I've also ensured that my user account on the client side, is registered
as a user on the server on which the web service resides.

[ The problem ]
But when I try to process any messages, I get back an HTTP 401: Access
Denied message.
What am I doing wrong, or not doing at all?
I'm very new to all this, so if I'm missing something obvious, please
forgive me.

Thanks for your time.
Daniel.

Daniel Bass

Paul

That works as you'd expect, giving you that page with the avialable methods
on the web service.

Dan

Daniel,

What happens when you just go to the .asmx page using IE?

-Paul

Ed

Daniel or Paul,

Was there any resolution to this problem? I am having the same
problem as Daniel describes. I have even gone as far as making a
"dummy" method on the web service that returns the
System.Net.Security.WindowsPrincipal.Identity and it shows my user
name.... When I try to connect to a SQL Server DB from that same Web
Service, using SSPI, it tries to connect as anonymous.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

Thanks, any information would be helpful.

Ed Castaneda

Daniel Bass said:
[...]

Christian Boult

Have you setup directory permissions (ACL's) on the base directory of the
web app allowing at least read access to the domain users / groups that are
to access the webservice ?
This is how it is set up for us and it works very well.

You might be authenticated all right but you don't have any access to the
directory so IIS dosen't allow you in.

Chris.

Daniel Bass said:
[...]

Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
If your web service anonymous authentication is

turned off you must enable that

Otherwise you have to pass username and password