Windows authentication on a Web service returning Access Denied (401).

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Daniel Bass, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Daniel Bass

    Daniel Bass Guest

    Hey,

    [ Background ]
    I've been asked to look into network security where an IIS virtual directory
    is configure to not have anonymous access, but rather to go with the windows
    authentication (what the user signs in as at client). This is in the context
    of a ASP.Net web service running on an intranet.

    [ What I have done ]
    - I've ticked and unticked all the right boxes in IIS.
    - I've also added the
    "myserviceproxy.Credentials =
    System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;"
    to the client side [ Web / Windows ] Application so that they are passed
    through to the server for the request message.
    - I've also ensured that my user account on the client side, is registered
    as a user on the server on which the web service resides.

    [ The problem ]
    But when I try to process any messages, I get back an HTTP 401: Access
    Denied message.
    What am I doing wrong, or not doing at all?
    I'm very new to all this, so if I'm missing something obvious, please
    forgive me.

    Thanks for your time.
    Daniel.

    Daniel Bass, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Daniel Bass

    Paul Guest

    Daniel,

    What happens when you just go to the .asmx page using IE?

    -Paul

    Paul, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Daniel Bass

    Daniel Bass Guest

    Paul

    That works as you'd expect, giving you that page with the avialable methods
    on the web service.

    Dan

    Daniel Bass, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Daniel Bass

    Ed Guest

    Daniel or Paul,

    Was there any resolution to this problem? I am having the same
    problem as Daniel describes. I have even gone as far as making a
    "dummy" method on the web service that returns the
    System.Net.Security.WindowsPrincipal.Identity and it shows my user
    name.... When I try to connect to a SQL Server DB from that same Web
    Service, using SSPI, it tries to connect as anonymous.

    Is there some setting that I am missing?

    Thanks, any information would be helpful.

    Ed Castaneda

    Ed, Feb 11, 2004