Windows Authentication problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Scott H., Mar 2, 2009.

  1. Scott H.

    Scott H. Guest

    Hello:
    I'm trying to use the Windows Authentication security option for a VB.NET
    windows application that uses a web service to communicte to SQL Server 2008.
    I have cofigured a server using Server 2008 as the Active Directory domain
    controller. I have added another Server 2008 server to the domain. The second
    server has IIS and SQL Server 2008 installed as well as my web service.

    I created a group with users on the AD controller and added the group to SQL
    Server 2008 with access to my database.

    I would like to enable Windows Authentication and disable Anonymous
    Authentication in IIS.

    I log into a Vista machine that belongs to the domain using one of the user
    accounts that belongs to the group that has privleges in SQL Server.

    If I disable Anonymous Authentication and enable Windows Authenticaiton in
    IIS, I can’t even access the web service from the Vista machine.

    If I enable Anonymous Authentication in IIS, I can access the web service,
    but I receive the following error in the my application Login failed for
    user ‘NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVER.

    I wrote a windows application that uses integrated security that does not
    use the web service to access the database that works fine. So I believe the
    security and the permissions in SQL Server are ok.

    I don’t understand why I can’t logon to a client machine that is on the
    domain with a domain user account and access my web service when Windows
    Authenticaion is enabled in IIS?
    Thanks,
    --
    Scott H.