Windows Authentication, storing user identity

Matt

I am using Windows Authentication for a web application. I want to
store the identity of users who add, update and delete records in the
database. What is a good built-in active directory identifier to
use? Username, SID? I'd rather not use the username, because this
could change.

Thanks ~ Matt

Guest

I am using Windows Authentication for a web application. I want to
store the identity of users who add, update and delete records in the
database. What is a good built-in active directory identifier to
use? Username, SID? I'd rather not use the username, because this
could change.

I would recommend to use the username, because it's a unique id in
AD.

If you cannot use it, consider a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID).

Matt

I would recommend to use the username, because it's a unique id in

Username could change, right?
If you cannot use it, consider a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID).

Are you talking about the objectGUID property from AD or creating a
mapping table?

Guest

Username could change, right?

In my experience this happen very seldom.
You might also use a user's full name (Display Name)

Are you talking about the objectGUID property from AD

Yes. GUID is never changed. SID can change and it is used only by
security principals.