Windows Authentication using built-in ASP.NET VS2005 test server

Tom

I'm building a web application using VS 2005. This application uses
Windows authentication to 'authenticate'. However, when I test it
(debug) via the VS 2005 built-in test server, it doesn't work. I.E. It
won't authenticate.

Is there a way to do Windows authentication using the built-in VS 2005
test server? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom

OK, then let me ask you this: Exactly HOW do you create a new ASP.NET
web site via VS 2005 (specifically VB.NET) that USES IIS rather than
the built-in ASP.NET test server? Under VS 2003 this was easy as it
basically defaulted to IIS; however, I am not sure exactly how to do
this via VS 2005? I thought that it was done by specifying 'Open' new
website, specifying IIS and then selecting New folder (or new website -
can't remember exact sequence right now) specifying
http:\\localhost\whatevername... However, when I try this it simply
sits there and cranks away - it never comes back and I have to end up
killing VS via the task manager.

So if I need to make it use IIS (specifically my local IIS server on my
machine) exactly how do I tell VS 2005 to create it there rather than
using the built-in service?

Tom

Juan T. Llibre

In the VS 2005 menu, hit "File", then "New Web Site".

Choose "ASP.NET Web Site" from the templates
and make sure you select "HTTP" in the "Location" dropdown.

That's it!

To specify the Web server for an already-created Web site, open your local website
with VS 2005 and, in the Solution Explorer, right-click the name of the Web site for
which you want to specify a Web server, and then click Property Pages.

In the Property Pages dialog box, click the Start Options tab.
Under Server, click Use custom server.

In the Base URL box, type the URL that VS 2005 should start when running the current Web site.
You can use localhost, your machine name, or an assigned domain name for your IP.

From that point on, the VS.NET IDE will not use the internal web server,
but will use IIS to open your pages, i.e., if you are working on default.aspx,
and you're using localhost, it will be opened as : http://localhost/default.aspx