Windows Authentication without providing a password

Zhenzhong Xu

Is it possible for a web application to authenticate user in Active Directory
without having them to provide a password associated with the account name.

What I meant is after user logged into windows from the domain, is it
possible for a web application to authenticate the user just like SQL server
windows authentication (it is not acceptable even if we only need the user to
type in the password once)? Does it need to have a secure channel? Is NTLM
capable for doing this job?

Please let me know what technology I should be looking into, and if
possible, some links and code samples are greatly appreciated.

Zhenzhong

Ken Schaefer

Yes.

In IIS, just disable "allow anonymous authentication" and enable one of the
other authentication mechanisms. In all cases, the user (or their browser)
has to supply credentials. The browser can be configured to supply the
credentials automatically without user intervention, e.g. for IE see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258063

(Firefox also has a similar setting when NTLM is being used)

Cheers
Ken

:
: What I meant is after user logged into windows from the domain, is it
: possible for a web application to authenticate the user just like SQL
server
: windows authentication (it is not acceptable even if we only need the user
: type in the password once)? Does it need to have a secure channel? Is NTLM
: capable for doing this job?
:
: Please let me know what technology I should be looking into, and if
: possible, some links and code samples are greatly appreciated.
:
: Zhenzhong

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

this is all done by configuration -

if the client is logged on to the domain, IE can do single-sign-on

a) IIS has to be configured for integrated auth
b) IE only sends the credentials to the Intranet zone by default - as soon
as there is a "." in the server name - Internet zone is assumed
if you browse to the web site where you want to do SSO - which zone does
IE show? You can add sites to the intranet zone in the IE zone settings