windows authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by wh, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. wh

    wh Guest

    I'm having problems setting up a web application up to only allow access to
    users in a specific Windows group:

    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?"/>
    <allow roles="GroupToAllow"/>
    <deny users="*"/>
    </authorization>

    where "GroupToAllow" is the Windows 2000 group containing all users that are
    able to access the application.

    It appears that I need to specify a domain name as well though no domain
    exists as it's on a standalone server. I've tried the following

    <allow roles="MACHINENAME\GroupToAllow"/>

    but still the same problem.

    Is there a solution? If not then I think I can get away checking whether the
    user belongs to a Windows 2000 group at runtime in the page_load event
    handler though don't know whether this is possible in .NET. Any ideas where
    I can start looking?

    Wayne.

    wh, Dec 11, 2003

  2. wh

    Paul Glavich Guest

    Try this :-

    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <authorization>
    <allow roles="MACHINENAME\GroupToAllow"/>
    <deny users="*"/>
    </authorization>

    - Paul Glavich

    Paul Glavich, Dec 11, 2003

  3. I hada similar problem using "User.isInRole" until I used "BUILTIN" as the
    domain for local groups, as in "BUILTIN\Group Name". Doesn't seem logical,
    since these groups aren't "built in" but are local groups I created, but it
    works. Using MACHINENAME did not.

    Harry Poulter

    Harry Poulter, Dec 31, 2003