windows based network instant messenger in perl

Vikram

hello everyone,
I have to duplicate a windows based network instant messenger in perl.
the messenger has been made in visual c++. I am supposed to make a
similar funtioning software in perl which works on the windows
platform. I have ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 804 on my system.
I would like to know a few things ...
1) how should I implement multithreading? should I use the
Win32::process module or is there a betterway to implement
multithreading in windows?
2) which module is supposed to be used for network communication?
3) for the gui development, would Win32::GUI be sufficient enough to
make a decent interface to the program?
help!
bye
vikram