Windows based perl editor?

Bill H

I have been using Edit (in a dos box) on Windows for editing perl for
the past 8 years or so, and though it is fine for me, I think it is
time to step up to a windows based editor. Can anyone recommend a good
windows based perl editor?

My wish list for what the editor would be able to do is:

1. Allow me to run the program I am editting in a dos box (using
active state perl)
2. Have multiple undos
3. Create multiple back up files as I save changes (a form of version
control so I can step back to a previous "version" if what I did
doesnt work right).
4. Syntax hilighting
5. Multiple programs open at the same time
6. Some form of project structure to allow me to group all the files
together

Most of these "wishes" come from the MS Visual C++ editor I used to
use before discovering perl.

Searching the internet I came across Perl Express (http://perl-
editor.perl-express.com/) but am leary of downloading programs I find
on the internet without knowing if they are safe.

I am not sure if this would influence your recommendtions but the
majority (99%) of the perl I write is used on web servers.

Any / all suggestions are appreciated.
Bill H

O. Olson

If you use Eclipse you can consider the Eclipse Perl Integration
http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/ .

I use this under Windows. I think that it has many/all of your
requirements. (I have personally not tried version control and
debugging as yet.)

O.O.

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

A. Sinan Unur said:
I am not sure what you mean by this.

Yes. GViM can open multiple files (or the same file) in multiple panes, above, below, to the right or left. And controls to rearrange them.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
Aristotle

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

A. Sinan Unur said:
I am not sure what you mean by this.

Yes. GViM can open multiple files (or the same file) in multiple panes, above, below, to the right or left. And controls to rearrange them.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
Aristotle

skywriter14

This is a good topic. I develope in Windows platform too. I use Perl
in cygwin and ActivePerl both. I would like to know what tools/editors
other people uses too.
I use 4 tools alternatingly to edit Perl code (all of them supports
syntax-highlighting):
1. SciTE: Very light-weight, supports multi-tab, you can hit F5 to
run Perl code within the editor. Does everything else well, except
versionning.
2. Notepad++: Similar to Scite, little bit smarter. Can be extended
by installing plugins. Does not help with versionning.
3. Vim: needless to describe, I use it inside cygwin to edit
something quickly.
4. Eclipse with EPIC plugin: Very powerful, not light-weight. Does
many things. I use the debugger, really great. Can check syntax as-you-
type. You can use PerlCritic with it. Perldoc can be accessed inside a
tab. Pod::Checker is there. The search/replace dialogueboxes are
completely regex enabled. Refactor feature does not work well with
Perl. You cannot set separate syntax highlighting colors for scalars,
hashes or arrays as can be done with SciTE or Notepad++. You can
install subeclipse plugin to enable CVS.

Can anyone refer to anything as good as these? I have heard good
things about Ultra Edit and an IDE from ActiveState. But they are not
free, right?

skywriter14

Debugging Perl is a ambiguous endevour. Perl is so simple, debugging
isin't necessary. Regular expressions, the golden eagle is a pride
among Perl proffessionals. You can't learn that in a ide.

Hmmm... I agree. Perl is simple. All I REALLY need is syntax
highlighting. I am not as old with Perl as many of you guys here. I
started my Perl adventure with niPerl which comes with SciTE. So my
best editor is SciTE. More of a nostalogic thing, than anything else.

Mirco Wahab

skywriter14 said:
Can anyone refer to anything as good as these? I have heard good
things about Ultra Edit and an IDE from ActiveState. But they are not
free, right?

Activestate has two things, it has an (very good imho) Editor,
which is "KomodoEdit", for free and an Editor+Visual Debugger+
Subversion interface, which is "Komodo". The "Komodo"-thing
allows you to debug in CGI environment, which you can set up
interactively (realy really nice). But this doesn't come
for free - but you'll have the chance of a 21 day free
test of the full version.

If you are used to the Visual Studio Tools, you'll surely
feel "at home" with the Komodo-Tools.

my € 0,02

Regards

M.

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

A. Sinan Unur said:
Mr. Corey: I am not sure why this needed to be posted three times.

I did not post three times; the internet did it for me.

The internet is a complete network of computers talking to each other. When a message is sent, it is sent through multiple pathways. If the sending computer does not get a receipt before it times out, the message is re-sent. Normally, there is a unique ID attached to each message but sometimes this gets lost.

Seeing a message appear multiple times occurs 2 or 3 times a year per newsgroup. If you don't like it, don't read the newsgroups.

--

A. Sinan Unur said:
Mr. Corey: I am not sure why this needed to be posted three times.

I did not post three times; the internet did it for me.

The internet is a complete network of computers talking to each other. When a message is sent, it is sent through multiple pathways. If the sending computer does not get a receipt before it times out, the message is re-sent. Normally, there is a unique ID attached to each message but sometimes this gets lost.

Seeing a message appear multiple times occurs 2 or 3 times a year per newsgroup. If you don't like it, don't read the newsgroups.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
Aristotle

anno4000

Mr. Shawn H. Corey said:
I did not post three times; the internet did it for me.

The internet is a complete network of computers talking to each other.
When a message is sent, it is sent through multiple pathways. If the
sending computer does not get a receipt before it times out, the message
is re-sent.

"The internet"? No way. What news reader are you using? (Though, I
haven't heard of a news reader that does that.)
Seeing a message appear multiple times occurs 2 or 3 times a year per
newsgroup. If you don't like it, don't read the newsgroups.

It happened again. You exceeded your quota.

Anno

Marcus Beranek

Am Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:28:36 -0700 schrieb Bill H:
I have been using Edit (in a dos box) on Windows for editing perl [...]
Can anyone recommend a good windows based perl editor? [...]

Any / all suggestions are appreciated. Bill H

Have you tried jedit, http://www.jedit.org?
It' a java-based text-editor, which comes with a lot of plugins. Most of
the plugins are for working with Java, but there are also some plugins for
editing perl. I'm using jedit for my daily work.

Best regards,
Marcus

skywriter14

So a lot of Perl programmer use Windows for developement!? And many
people still thinks Perl doesn't even run on Windows. In my country at
least.

Bill H

So a lot of Perl programmer use Windows for developement!? And many
people still thinks Perl doesn't even run on Windows. In my country at
least.

I do all my development on windows and then transfer it over to linux
for actual testing. I have looked at all the editors mentioned on here
and am looking at the ones listed in the wikipedia site (thanks for
that link). Most of them seem to do too much (is that bad?) for me at
this time, but may be of use in the future. The biggest thing I really
want is the incremental backup so that I can walk back through
previous versions of a program if I discover that changes I made
"broke" something else. The syntax hiliting and the other "wish list"
stuff I can get along without. I may just have to use the MS C++ to
write what I want. It already comes with a sample of SuperPad (notepad
on steriods) that I could make do the incremental backups.

Bill H

Clenna Lumina

~greg said:
"Mr. Shawn H. Corey" > wrote ...

The headers don't support the excuse.

Each of the 3 posts has a different Message-ID
(two of them having been assigned by "(e-mail address removed)",
which corresponds to the From address,
and the 3rd was assigned by "(e-mail address removed)",
for some reason that I don't understand.)

And they each have different X-Trace lines (whatever that is)
and different Xref lines,
(which happen to be in sequential order:
...635013, ...635014, ...635015)

~~

But I'm not being anal. :)

I have been trying to work out the best way
to thread usenet posts for an archives.

And "robustness" is a major objective.

Lots of little problems have to be solved.
For example, I assign a permanent index to
every ID seen, whether in a Message-ID line
or in a References line. And this index ~ message-id
correspondence is the single most important aspect
of the database. So it's vitally important that
every post have a good Message-ID.
Which presents the problem of what to do
when an otherwise perfectly good post
just happens to be missing a message-id.

Which I have never actually seen an instance of.

But don't laugh! I have actually seen something
like it, once in my life.
I have see one post that contained one ID
in its References line that had one of its
bits in one of its bytes obviously mangled
during transmission! (Which was easy to see,
-- after it was guessed that that was the problem,
--by comparison with all the other posts
in the same thread.)

So I don't think that it is literally impossible that perfectly good
post (vs a malevolent one) is missing a message-id.
In any case that's the reason I was curious
about the current stutter-post situation.

(What my threader does if it ever comes across
a true case of this kind of thing,
is invent a message-id for the post,
made up of the SHA-1 of the
Subject line + Date line + body lines.
The idea is that this should be sufficient to
to distinguish two different ID-less posts,
while identifying two copies of the same
ID-less post that happen to come by different
routes, and therefore have many different headers.

(I don't use the From line in the SHA
because Google mundges From lines.
It is still possible to get the "original usenet format"
from Google, but they don't make it easy to do,
and it probably isn't possible to harvest them
from Google by bot anymore).

In this case the 3 Subjects are identical.
And the SHA of the bodies are identical.
But the dates are different.

The 2nd one was sent about a minute after the 1st.
And the 3rd, about 10 seconds after the 2nd.

Which I can't say actually refutes the excuse given
(because I don't actually understand the excuse given.)

But I think that can safely be said
that it doesn't confirm it. :)

Actually some smaller ISP's and UseNet providers don't have their own
UseNet feeds and instead relay through someone else, and this extra step
can sometimes create anomalies, such as when/if header rewriting occurs,
or if bad retry and router setups are employed, rather than just getting
a genuine feed.

Clenna Lumina

l said:
PerlBuilder from www.solutionsoft.com (not free) is a good lightweight
perl IDE. No need to define a project to edit a standalone single
perl script. Would love to have Komodo.

A very nice fee editor is Notepad++.

I believe he meant "free" and not "fee", as they do not charge a fee to
use it :)

Michael Carman

Ultra-Edit32 is your best bet, it won't do most of what you wan't but
you can see closures. Plus the colors are nice if your on drugs.

s/won't do most/can do all/;

Item 1 requires setting up a user tool. Everything else is built in.

-mjc

Michael Carman

UltraEdit is pay software but it's fairly inexpensive. The ActiveState IDE
you're thinking of is probably Komodo. I haven't heard many good things about it.
Ultra Edit does a good job syntax checking while you type it.

UE does syntax *highlighting*. It doesn't do syntax checking at all. (But it's
easy to set up a user tool for "perl -Mstrict -Mdiagnostics -cw said:
So, ahh, what was the question? Oh, Ultra Edit. Download the trial version
from thier web site. Go to crackz.com, get the simple code, then open up all
the features. If you like it, go back to Ultra Edits web site and BUY it!
Thats the way its done down home.

The UltraEdit trial is fully functional but time-limited. The trial period is
either 30 or 45 days, I can't recall offhand. So there's no need for cracks
(which you shouldn't be advocating anyway).

-mjc

anno4000

Clenna Lumina said:
l v wrote:

I believe he meant "free" and not "fee", as they do not charge a fee to
use it :)

That's why it's a fee editor. You edit the fee to zero.

Anno