    "custom" membership and role providers (I think).

    Your suggestions are appreciated!
    Chris

    Chris Cichocki, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Hello Chris,

    From your description, you have an ASP.NET 1.1 application which use
    windows authentication and does authorization based on the roles of each
    windows user (access control check in application), also each user has some
    application specific data associated with him. Currently, you're going to
    upgrade the application to ASP.NET 2.0 and want to utilize the new
    membership/role provider features to do the same task, correct?

    Based on my understanding, you could reimplement the security mechanism in
    ASP.NET 2.0 through the following approach:

    ** still configured IIS to use intergrated windows and make ASP.NET use
    windows authentication.

    ** and the role based <authorization> setting still remain the same(define
    role based acccess control for individual pages or sub directory...)

    ** change the application to use SqlRoleProvider so that we can store our
    custom roles for windows user(based on windows username) in SqlServer
    database.

    here is a good blog article(from scottgu's weblog) which has demonstrate a
    typical sampe application similar to your scenario.

    #Recipe: Implementing Role-Based Security with ASP.NET 2.0 using Windows
    Authentication and SQL Server
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/Recipe_3A00_-Implementing-Role_2D00_Bas
    ed-Security-with-ASP.NET-2.0-using-Windows-Authentication-and-SQL-Server.asp

    In addition, since you mentioned that you also want to add some additional
    cuatom datas associated with each user, you can consider use the Profile
    service in ASP.NET 2.0 whicn can help store some per-user specific data and
    is also provider based(default provider is sqlserver provider).

    #ASP.NET Profile Properties Overview
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2y3fs9xs.aspx

    #ASP.NET Profile Properties
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/at64shx3.aspx

    Hope this helps. If you have any further questions on this, please feel
    free to let me know.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead