Windows Data Types

Discussion in 'C++' started by WELCOME ###, Apr 22, 2007.

  1. WELCOME  ###

    WELCOME ### Guest

    From Beginner :
    With Visual C++, there're 3 ways to create Windows Applications. One of
    these is by using Windows API (Application Program Interface). Also Windows
    Data Types are used to specify functions parameter types and return types in
    windows API.
    Windows Data Types are many as : HANDLE, HBRUSH, LPHANDLE ... etc
    Now all the types used by windows are contained in a header file "window.h
    ".So we must include this header
    file when we put our window program together.
    The Question is : How can I get this header file???
    Please can any body wants to help?
    Thanks.
    =================================
    WELCOME ###, Apr 22, 2007

  2. On Apr 22, 2:24 pm, "WELCOME ###" <> wrote:
    > From Beginner :
    > With Visual C++, there're 3 ways to create Windows Applications. One of
    > these is by using Windows API (Application Program Interface). Also Windows
    > Data Types are used to specify functions parameter types and return types in
    > windows API.
    > Windows Data Types are many as : HANDLE, HBRUSH, LPHANDLE ... etc
    > Now all the types used by windows are contained in a header file "window.h
    > ".So we must include this header
    > file when we put our window program together.
    > The Question is : How can I get this header file???
    > Please can any body wants to help?
    > Thanks.
    > =================================

    just simply add this line to your program,

    #include <windows.h>

    I use Visual C++ 2005, and I tried that, that works.
    bohemistanbul, Apr 22, 2007

  3. On 2007-04-22 13:24, WELCOME ### wrote:
    > From Beginner :
    > With Visual C++, there're 3 ways to create Windows Applications. One of
    > these is by using Windows API (Application Program Interface).

    Are you sure you want to use this API, it's kind of a dying API, MS is
    trying to more over to the .Net framework and if you are just starting
    to learn you might want to go for that (unless you have any specific
    reason to use Win32).

    > Also Windows Data Types are used to specify functions parameter types
    > and return types in windows API.
    > Windows Data Types are many as : HANDLE, HBRUSH, LPHANDLE ... etc Now
    > all the types used by windows are contained in a header file "window.h".
    > So we must include this header file when we put our window program
    > together. The Question is : How can I get this header file???

    I'm not sure that bohemistanbul's advice works unless you have the MS
    Platform SDK installed, but even if it does you might want to download
    and install it since it contains a lot of useful documentation and examples.

    By the way, these kinds of questions (which are concerned with platform
    specific topics) are off topic here and are better answered elsewhere
    (like the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.* groups), however if you
    have any questions regarding C++ programming in general this is the
    place to ask.

    --
    Erik Wikström
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Apr 22, 2007
  4. On Apr 22, 9:12 am, Erik Wikström <> wrote:
    > On 2007-04-22 13:24, WELCOME ### wrote:
    >
    > > From Beginner :
    > > With Visual C++, there're 3 ways to create Windows Applications. One of
    > > these is by using Windows API (Application Program Interface).

    > Are you sure you want to use this API, it's kind of a dying API, MS is
    > trying to more over to the .Net framework and if you are just starting
    > to learn you might want to go for that (unless you have any specific
    > reason to use Win32).
    >
    > > Also Windows Data Types are used to specify functions parameter types
    > > and return types in windows API.
    > > Windows Data Types are many as : HANDLE, HBRUSH, LPHANDLE ... etc Now
    > > all the types used by windows are contained in a header file "window.h".

    > > So we must include this header file when we put our window program

    > > together. The Question is : How can I get this header file???

    > I'm not sure that bohemistanbul's advice works unless you have the MS
    > Platform SDK installed, but even if it does you might want to download
    > and install it since it contains a lot of useful documentation and examples.
    >
    > By the way, these kinds of questions (which are concerned with platform
    > specific topics) are off topic here and are better answered elsewhere
    > (like the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.* groups), however if you
    > have any questions regarding C++ programming in general this is the
    > place to ask.
    >
    > --
    > Erik Wikström

    Yepp, you're right, It will not work unless you download the MS
    Platform SDK, which is separate.
    Siddhartha Gandhi, Apr 22, 2007