windows installer problems

Discussion in 'Python' started by Laszlo Zsolt Nagy, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'm trying to install Python on Windows 2000 Server using remote
    >desktop. I log as a user that is in administrators group. Instalator
    >starts, I select default installation directory, on the next screen
    >with parts to install I click just next. Than blicks screen with
    >progress bar but it is immediately replaced with screen informing that
    >installation failed. But there's no information why or what is wrong.
    >On remote connection I use 16 colors - can it be the problem?

    Please try to do the same using Start Menu/Control Panel/AddRemovePrograms.
    Once I had the same problem and it turned out that when you start the
    Control Panel, the terminal goes into a different mode where you can
    install programs. Without that, you will not be able to add new
    programs. I'm not sure why.

    Les

    Laszlo Zsolt Nagy, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Laszlo Zsolt Nagy

    Guest

    Hi,
    I'm trying to install Python on Windows 2000 Server using remote
    desktop. I log as a user that is in administrators group. Instalator
    starts, I select default installation directory, on the next screen
    with parts to install I click just next. Than blicks screen with
    progress bar but it is immediately replaced with screen informing that
    installation failed. But there's no information why or what is wrong.
    On remote connection I use 16 colors - can it be the problem?

    Thanks for any help

    sax

    , Dec 6, 2005

  3. Laszlo Zsolt Nagy

    Trent Mick Guest

    [ wrote]
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to install Python on Windows 2000 Server using remote
    > desktop. I log as a user that is in administrators group. Instalator
    > starts, I select default installation directory, on the next screen
    > with parts to install I click just next. Than blicks screen with
    > progress bar but it is immediately replaced with screen informing that
    > installation failed. But there's no information why or what is wrong.
    > On remote connection I use 16 colors - can it be the problem?

    You can turn on logging when installing an MSI:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/installnotes.html#install_logging

    The same instructions will work for the python.org MSI as well.

    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick

    Trent Mick, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Laszlo Zsolt Nagy

    Guest

    Thanks for help, I tried to install ActivePerl and have the same
    problem so there's probably something wrong with the windows installer.
    Unfortunatelly I wasn't able to find out where is the problem from log
    file so I'll try to upgrade installer - the windows server installation
    is quite old and not updated. :-(

    sax

    , Dec 7, 2005