Windows Integrated authentication

Stephen Noronha

Is there a way to use only "Windows Integrated authentication" but not have
the pop up window at all? even when the webapplication is requested for the
first time.

Thanks,
Stephen

Ayyappan Nair

Is there a way to use only "Windows Integrated authentication" but not have
the pop up window at all? even when the webapplication is requested for the
first time.

Thanks,
Stephen

Only if the client requesting the page is in the same domain or trusted
domain as the IIS and is an authenticated domain user.

Ayyappan Nair

Stephen Noronha

Hi Ayyappan,

Thanks for the reply, but how? I tried the following but it does show up the
first time the default page is called.
1. changed the directory security to "Windows Integrated Security"
2. changed the <authorization> in web.config to domain users only and that
too specific persons.

I hit the default page for the first time, the window pops up, but from that
point on even if i close the browser and open it again, it does not

Thanks,
Stephen

Ayyappan Nair

Hi Ayyappan,

Thanks for the reply, but how? I tried the following but it does show up the
first time the default page is called.
1. changed the directory security to "Windows Integrated Security"
2. changed the <authorization> in web.config to domain users only and that
too specific persons.

I hit the default page for the first time, the window pops up, but from that
point on even if i close the browser and open it again, it does not

Thanks,
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Checkout the following....
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258063

Basically IE has to send the credentials to the webserver so that server
can authenticate. In cases where you are in the Intranet and your website
address is something like http://mywebapp.mycompany.com, since it is dotted
notation, IE thinks it is an Internet address and will not pass the
credentials. Hence IIS sends back a 401 response. The easy (and
recommended) solution is to add the url to "Sites" section in the "Local
Intranet Zone" under "Security" tab in IE. The other option is to go into
"Custom Level" under "Security" tab and select "Automatic logon with
current username and password" under the "User Authentication" section
(default will be "Automatic logon only in Intranet zone").

HTH,
Ayyappan Nair