    first time.

    Thanks,
    Stephen
    Stephen Noronha, Sep 30, 2005

  2. On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:51:15 -0700, Stephen Noronha wrote:

    > Is there a way to use only "Windows Integrated authentication" but not have
    > the pop up window at all? even when the webapplication is requested for the
    > first time.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Stephen

    Only if the client requesting the page is in the same domain or trusted
    domain as the IIS and is an authenticated domain user.

    Ayyappan Nair
    Ayyappan Nair, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Hi Ayyappan,

    Thanks for the reply, but how? I tried the following but it does show up the
    first time the default page is called.
    1. changed the directory security to "Windows Integrated Security"
    2. changed the <authorization> in web.config to domain users only and that
    too specific persons.

    I hit the default page for the first time, the window pops up, but from that
    point on even if i close the browser and open it again, it does not

    Thanks,
    Stephen

    Stephen Noronha, Oct 3, 2005
  4. On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:57:05 -0700, Stephen Noronha wrote:

    > Hi Ayyappan,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, but how? I tried the following but it does show up the
    > first time the default page is called.
    > 1. changed the directory security to "Windows Integrated Security"
    > 2. changed the <authorization> in web.config to domain users only and that
    > too specific persons.
    >
    > I hit the default page for the first time, the window pops up, but from that
    > point on even if i close the browser and open it again, it does not
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Stephen
    >
    > "Ayyappan Nair" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:51:15 -0700, Stephen Noronha wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to use only "Windows Integrated authentication" but not

    > have
    >>> the pop up window at all? even when the webapplication is requested for

    > the
    >>> first time.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Stephen

    >> Only if the client requesting the page is in the same domain or trusted
    >> domain as the IIS and is an authenticated domain user.
    >>
    >> Ayyappan Nair

    Hi Stephen,

    Checkout the following....
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258063

    Basically IE has to send the credentials to the webserver so that server
    can authenticate. In cases where you are in the Intranet and your website
    address is something like http://mywebapp.mycompany.com, since it is dotted
    notation, IE thinks it is an Internet address and will not pass the
    credentials. Hence IIS sends back a 401 response. The easy (and
    recommended) solution is to add the url to "Sites" section in the "Local
    Intranet Zone" under "Security" tab in IE. The other option is to go into
    "Custom Level" under "Security" tab and select "Automatic logon with
    current username and password" under the "User Authentication" section
    (default will be "Automatic logon only in Intranet zone").

    HTH,
    Ayyappan Nair
    Ayyappan Nair, Oct 4, 2005