Windows like C++ editor for linux

saurabh.ss

I want a C++ editor for Linux that resembles Microsoft Visual Studio's
integrated editor. I mean it should have features like auto-completion,
auto-indentation and syntax highlighting. Also it should support
windows like hotkeys like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Please do not recomment vi or
emacs. I know that those are best out there but it will take me some
time to learn them to use them efficiently and I do not have that
luxury. I am unsatisfied with the auto-indentation of gedit. Can
someone suggest an editor which suits my (seemingly high) requirements.
Thank you.

utab

I want a C++ editor for Linux that resembles Microsoft Visual Studio's
integrated editor. I mean it should have features like auto-completion,
auto-indentation and syntax highlighting. Also it should support
windows like hotkeys like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Please do not recomment vi or
emacs. I know that those are best out there but it will take me some
time to learn them to use them efficiently and I do not have that
luxury. I am unsatisfied with the auto-indentation of gedit. Can
someone suggest an editor which suits my (seemingly high) requirements.
Thank you.

Vi and luxury, interesting approach, then you will never have the
chance of using the best editor, IMHO. Start with that it is not that
terrifying believe me after a while I am sure you are going to refuse
the others.

Regards

Andrew Poelstra

I want a C++ editor for Linux that resembles Microsoft Visual Studio's
integrated editor. I mean it should have features like auto-completion,
auto-indentation and syntax highlighting. Also it should support
windows like hotkeys like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Please do not recomment vi or
emacs. I know that those are best out there but it will take me some
time to learn them to use them efficiently and I do not have that
luxury. I am unsatisfied with the auto-indentation of gedit. Can
someone suggest an editor which suits my (seemingly high) requirements.
Thank you.

http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html

Rolf Magnus

I want a C++ editor for Linux that resembles Microsoft Visual Studio's
integrated editor. I mean it should have features like auto-completion,
auto-indentation and syntax highlighting. Also it should support
windows like hotkeys like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Please do not recomment vi or
emacs. I know that those are best out there but it will take me some
time to learn them to use them efficiently and I do not have that
luxury. I am unsatisfied with the auto-indentation of gedit. Can
someone suggest an editor which suits my (seemingly high) requirements.
Thank you.

You could try Kate.

Puppet_Sock

I want a C++ editor for Linux that resembles Microsoft Visual Studio's
integrated editor.
[snip]

Heh heh. Get yourself a good link and *use* MS Visual Studio. My link
to the Unix system here is such that the disk shows up as just another
disk in my file explorer. So I can drag-n-drop files back and forth,
edit
files using whatever I like on my system, etc.

So I fairly frequently keep the login open to the Unix system in one
window, the text editor open in another, and the file explorer for
doing file move/copy/delete instead of using the command line
in Unix. Unix types sneer at me, but I don't care. A couple little
scripts to do things like dos2unix and chmod +x and all is fine.
Socks

saurabh.ss

utab said:
Vi and luxury, interesting approach, then you will never have the
chance of using the best editor, IMHO. Start with that it is not that
terrifying believe me after a while I am sure you are going to refuse
the others.

Regards

Hmm.. true.. I did start using vi some time back. But now the problem
is that now, due to some time restrictions, I have to write some code
quickly. That involved quite a bit of moving text around here and there
and that became quite a problem since I am not an expert vi user. So
thats why the request. In the long run, I intend to use vi only.

Oh and by the way.. does vi support auto-completion? I did not find it.

saurabh.ss

Puppet_Sock said:
Heh heh. Get yourself a good link and *use* MS Visual Studio. My link
to the Unix system here is such that the disk shows up as just another
disk in my file explorer. So I can drag-n-drop files back and forth,
edit
files using whatever I like on my system, etc.

So I fairly frequently keep the login open to the Unix system in one
window, the text editor open in another, and the file explorer for
doing file move/copy/delete instead of using the command line
in Unix. Unix types sneer at me, but I don't care. A couple little
scripts to do things like dos2unix and chmod +x and all is fine.
Socks

Hmm.. seems worth trying. I do have MS VS express. How do I 'link' to
my linux file system?

Rolf Magnus

Hmm.. true.. I did start using vi some time back. But now the problem
is that now, due to some time restrictions, I have to write some code
quickly. That involved quite a bit of moving text around here and there
and that became quite a problem since I am not an expert vi user. So
thats why the request. In the long run, I intend to use vi only.

vi sucks. Better use vim ;-)
Oh and by the way.. does vi support auto-completion? I did not find it.

I have some simple, but stupid auto-completion in my vim, but there is
something better. I just haven't tried it. You can look for scripts at
www.vim.org

Michael Sgier

there are some projects like kdevelop and co. but also
commercial...google is your friend.

happyvalley

Michael said:
there are some projects like kdevelop and co. but also
commercial...google i your friend.

code::blocks is a free C++ IDE works on both windows and linux

Puppet_Sock

Hmm.. seems worth trying. I do have MS VS express. How do I 'link' to
my linux file system?

Well, in my case, the Unix system is on the LAN, and it is configured
to allow access to my own home drive. This was apparently fairly
easy for the Unix admin to do, as he did it while setting up my
account, while I listened to him tapping keys over the phone.

As far as I was concerned it "just happened" without me having to
do very much about it.
Socks

frankgerlach

I would not suggest ecplise; atl least if you do not have a 30 Ghz
processor with 32 Gbyte of RAM :) I am not a Windoze addict, but I
have to concede that Visual Studio is a quite good piece of software.
As some prvious posters pointed out, you can mount your unix file
system on a PC (using Samba, a free server) and edit on the PC.
Another major alternative is to buy SlickEdit (slickedit.com), which
does the same things as VS on Unix AND the PC. Unfortunately for me, my
boss did not shell out the 300$ (or so) for Slickedit, so I could only
use it for some weeks, until the evaluation period expired. But from
what I saw in that time, I can strongly suggest it !

frankgerlach

BTW, AVOID Visual Source Safe at ALL COST. Better go with CVS, which is
free software. VSS would be better named Visual Source Shredder....

kashif

I want a C++ editor for Linux that resembles Microsoft Visual Studio's
integrated editor. I mean it should have features like auto-completion,
auto-indentation and syntax highlighting. Also it should support
windows like hotkeys like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Please do not recomment vi or
emacs. I know that those are best out there but it will take me some
time to learn them to use them efficiently and I do not have that
luxury. I am unsatisfied with the auto-indentation of gedit. Can
someone suggest an editor which suits my (seemingly high) requirements.
Thank you.

tried anjuta? (http://sourceforge.net/projects/anjuta)

regards,

Kashif

Default User

BTW, AVOID Visual Source Safe at ALL COST. Better go with CVS, which
is free software. VSS would be better named Visual Source Shredder....

Please includes quotes for context. To my knowledge, all versions of
Google now do that automatically. If yours doesn't, follow the
instructions below.

Brian