windows mozilla perl helper app scripts

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Philip, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    I was trying to get a perl based helper app to work with a mozilla
    browser on windows.

    I have installed activeperl on my XP PC and I can run the helper script
    from the MS-DOS window. ie

    helper.pl download_file.suffix.

    I then set helper.pl as the helper app for a my chosen file type within
    the browser preference set up dialog. However, when I try to handle the
    download through the browser I get the following error dialog:

    "<temporary download.suffix file> could not be opened because an unknown
    error occurred.

    Sorry about that, try saving to disk first and then opening the file"

    I suspect that it is because windows perl scripts are not executed and
    handed arguments as transparently as real executable helper apps.

    Is there a way around this problem? Have I incorrectly set up perl?
    Philip, Jun 17, 2006

  2. Philip

    Mumia W. Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I was trying to get a perl based helper app to work with a mozilla
    > browser on windows.
    >
    > I have installed activeperl on my XP PC and I can run the helper script
    > from the MS-DOS window. ie
    >
    > helper.pl download_file.suffix.
    >
    > I then set helper.pl as the helper app for a my chosen file type within
    > the browser preference set up dialog. However, when I try to handle the
    > download through the browser I get the following error dialog:
    >
    > "<temporary download.suffix file> could not be opened because an unknown
    > error occurred.
    >
    > Sorry about that, try saving to disk first and then opening the file"
    >
    > I suspect that it is because windows perl scripts are not executed and
    > handed arguments as transparently as real executable helper apps.
    >
    > Is there a way around this problem? Have I incorrectly set up perl?

    Perhaps you could create a batch file (.BAT) that would invoke perl like so:

    c:\path\to\perl.exe helper.pl download_file.suffix
    Mumia W., Jun 17, 2006

  3. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >
    >> I was trying to get a perl based helper app to work with a mozilla
    >> browser on windows.
    >>
    >> I have installed activeperl on my XP PC and I can run the helper
    >> script from the MS-DOS window. ie
    >>
    >> helper.pl download_file.suffix.
    >>
    >> I then set helper.pl as the helper app for a my chosen file type
    >> within the browser preference set up dialog. However, when I try to
    >> handle the download through the browser I get the following error dialog:
    >>
    >> "<temporary download.suffix file> could not be opened because an
    >> unknown error occurred.
    >>
    >> Sorry about that, try saving to disk first and then opening the file"
    >>
    >> I suspect that it is because windows perl scripts are not executed and
    >> handed arguments as transparently as real executable helper apps.
    >>
    >> Is there a way around this problem? Have I incorrectly set up perl?

    > Perhaps you could create a batch file (.BAT) that would invoke perl like
    > so:
    >
    > c:\path\to\perl.exe helper.pl download_file.suffix

    Yes that worked. Thanks.

    I found a utility called pl2bat that made it easier.

    Seems funny though that you can't get windows to work otherwise, but
    then windows isn't unix.
    Philip, Jun 17, 2006
  4. Philip

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Philip schreef:

    > Is there a way around this problem? Have I incorrectly set up perl?

    See

    ASSOC /?

    and

    FTYPE /?

    On a W2K-system I get this:

    C:\> assoc | find /i "perl"
    ..pl=Perl

    C:\> ftype | find /i "perl"
    Perl="C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe" "%1" %*
    PerlScriptFile=C:\WINNT\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*

    (I am not saying those settings are right)

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jun 17, 2006