windows perl modules

king

Where can we download windows perl modules.
From CPAN its very easy to get unix modules. but PPM packages are not
found in CPAN.

Is there any site from where I can download PPM perl modules from.

Thanks inadvance

Michele Dondi

Is there any site from where I can download PPM perl modules from.

Well, ppm has AS's repository as the predefined one. Others that you
may add include:

C:\temp>ppm repo
¦ id ¦ pkgs ¦ name ¦
+----+-------+--------------------------------¦
¦ 1 ¦ 6808 ¦ ActiveState Package Repository ¦
¦ 2 ¦ 645 ¦ uwinnipeg ¦
¦ 3 ¦ 416 ¦ bribes ¦
¦ 4 ¦ 10432 ¦ trouchelle ¦
¦ 5 ¦ 20 ¦ SoulCage ¦

Michele

Michael Carman

Where can we download windows perl modules.

From CPAN its very easy to get unix modules. but PPM packages are not found
in CPAN.

ActiveState doesn't do the best job at keeping it's PPM archives synched up with
what's available on CPAN.

With a few exceptions the modules on CPAN are platform-independent.
Unfortunately for Windows users they tend to assume a *nix-like environment
where "make" (and possibly a C compiler) are available. With a little one-time
effort you can set up your computer so that you can install anything from CPAN:

1) Install nmake
2) Install MinGW
3) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig

Then change the standard Perl module install mantra slightly:

perl -MConfig_m Makefile.pl
make
make test
make install

The only change is the addition of -MConfig_m when running Makefile.pl.

-mjc

Mirco Wahab

Sisyphus

Permit me to expand on this (and also be a little picky in the process :)
1) Install nmake

You'll get good milage from 'nmake', but better milage from 'dmake' (
http://search.cpan.org/dist/dmake/ ).
2) Install MinGW
3) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig

As of build 815 (or thereabouts) of ActiveState perl, it's not necessary to
install ExtUtils::FakeConfig, as these recent builds of ActivePerl will work
seamlessly with MinGW and nmake/dmake. (And there's no need to invoke the
'-MConfig_m switch either.)
However, ActiveState didn't quite get it right, and for builds 815 to 820
there's a bug or two that needs fixing if you want to go down this path. See
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=614808 .
The latest build of ActivePerl (822) *does* apparently get it right. Afaik
there are no bugs to fix wrt the use of MinGW and nmake/dmake on build 822.
Then change the standard Perl module install mantra slightly:

perl -MConfig_m Makefile.pl
make
make test
make install

The only change is the addition of -MConfig_m when running Makefile.pl.

Sometimes (rarely) when using ExtUtils::FakeConfig it's not sufficient to
simply run 'perl -MConfig_m Makefile.PL'. PDL and Inline::C are two modules
that won't build that way - because their build procedures run 'perl blah',
but need to run 'perl -MConfig_m blah'. To build such modules it's best to:

set perl5opt=-MConfig_m
perl Makefile.PL
nmake test
nmake install

That ensures that Config_m.pm is loaded *every* time that perl is run -
which is exactly what's needed when building (and running) PDL, Inline::C,
Inline::CPP, and some others.

Cheers,
Rob