    Where can we download windows perl modules.

    >From CPAN its very easy to get unix modules. but PPM packages are not

    found in CPAN.

    Is there any site from where I can download PPM perl modules from.

    Thanks inadvance
    king, Aug 8, 2007

  2. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:55:33 -0000, king <>
    wrote:

    >Is there any site from where I can download PPM perl modules from.

    Well, ppm has AS's repository as the predefined one. Others that you
    may add include:

    C:\temp>ppm repo
    ¦ id ¦ pkgs ¦ name ¦
    +----+-------+--------------------------------¦
    ¦ 1 ¦ 6808 ¦ ActiveState Package Repository ¦
    ¦ 2 ¦ 645 ¦ uwinnipeg ¦
    ¦ 3 ¦ 416 ¦ bribes ¦
    ¦ 4 ¦ 10432 ¦ trouchelle ¦
    ¦ 5 ¦ 20 ¦ SoulCage ¦

    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Aug 8, 2007

  3. On 8/8/2007 7:55 AM, king wrote:
    > Where can we download windows perl modules.
    >
    > From CPAN its very easy to get unix modules. but PPM packages are not found
    > in CPAN.

    ActiveState doesn't do the best job at keeping it's PPM archives synched up with
    what's available on CPAN.

    With a few exceptions the modules on CPAN are platform-independent.
    Unfortunately for Windows users they tend to assume a *nix-like environment
    where "make" (and possibly a C compiler) are available. With a little one-time
    effort you can set up your computer so that you can install anything from CPAN:

    1) Install nmake
    2) Install MinGW
    3) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig

    Then change the standard Perl module install mantra slightly:

    perl -MConfig_m Makefile.pl
    make
    make test
    make install

    The only change is the addition of -MConfig_m when running Makefile.pl.

    -mjc
    Michael Carman, Aug 9, 2007
  4. king

    Mirco Wahab Guest

    Mirco Wahab, Aug 9, 2007
  5. king

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Michael Carman" <> wrote in message

    Permit me to expand on this (and also be a little picky in the process :)

    > 1) Install nmake

    You'll get good milage from 'nmake', but better milage from 'dmake' (
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/dmake/ ).

    > 2) Install MinGW
    > 3) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig

    As of build 815 (or thereabouts) of ActiveState perl, it's not necessary to
    install ExtUtils::FakeConfig, as these recent builds of ActivePerl will work
    seamlessly with MinGW and nmake/dmake. (And there's no need to invoke the
    '-MConfig_m switch either.)
    However, ActiveState didn't quite get it right, and for builds 815 to 820
    there's a bug or two that needs fixing if you want to go down this path. See
    http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=614808 .
    The latest build of ActivePerl (822) *does* apparently get it right. Afaik
    there are no bugs to fix wrt the use of MinGW and nmake/dmake on build 822.

    > Then change the standard Perl module install mantra slightly:
    >
    > perl -MConfig_m Makefile.pl
    > make
    > make test
    > make install
    >
    > The only change is the addition of -MConfig_m when running Makefile.pl.

    Sometimes (rarely) when using ExtUtils::FakeConfig it's not sufficient to
    simply run 'perl -MConfig_m Makefile.PL'. PDL and Inline::C are two modules
    that won't build that way - because their build procedures run 'perl blah',
    but need to run 'perl -MConfig_m blah'. To build such modules it's best to:

    set perl5opt=-MConfig_m
    perl Makefile.PL
    nmake test
    nmake install

    That ensures that Config_m.pm is loaded *every* time that perl is run -
    which is exactly what's needed when building (and running) PDL, Inline::C,
    Inline::CPP, and some others.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Aug 10, 2007