Windows port of I/O functions

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mac, Aug 1, 2008.

  1. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Hello,

    How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:

    outb

    outl

    inb

    iopl

    inb

    inl

    I think I might need STL.

    Does anyone know a good tutorial for programming windows with STL?

    Thanks,
    Mac
    http://www.datanetzs.com
    Mac, Aug 1, 2008

  2. Mac

    Mac Guest

    > Does anyone know a good tutorial for programming windows with STL?

    Nicolai Josuttis' "The C++ Standard Library" is one of the best.

    >> Doesn't cover STL and Windows.
    >> Try STL Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schildt (Author)

    > How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:

    Ask in a Windows newsgroup.

    >> Not helpful. This question is a request for an answer not, a referral.
    >> If anyone knows the Windows equivalent functions for register manipulation please post.

    > I think I might need STL.

    STL (and C++) has nothing to do with hardware. Any hardware
    interaction
    is achieved using system- and platform-specific libraries. You need
    ask in the system/platform- specific newsgroup.

    Mac, Aug 31, 2008

  3. Mac

    osmium Guest

    "Mac" wrote:

    > How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:
    >
    > outb
    >
    > outl
    >
    > inb
    >
    > iopl
    >
    > inb
    >
    > inl
    >
    > I think I might need STL.
    >
    > Does anyone know a good tutorial for programming windows with STL?

    You may need STL but not in the context of the other stuff you ask about.
    STL is a very high level thing, the other things you list are very low
    level. As mentioned else thread, Josuttis is the bible for STL. it is a
    tutorial *and* reference.

    WRT the op codes (or whatever) plug this into google < msdn outb>.
    Pay special attention to the response by KingTermite. If you dig around the
    MSDN site long enough you are likely to find your answer. The op codes are
    not part of C++ so you will never get an answer in this group. That's just
    the way things are.
    osmium, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Mac

    red floyd Guest

    Mac wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > How do I implement the following functions in Windows?:
    >
    > outb
    >
    > outl
    >
    > inb
    >
    > iopl
    >
    > inb
    >
    > inl

    You're OT here, but...

    You can't do that from userspace in Windows. You need to write a device
    driver. To do that you need the DDK.
    red floyd, Aug 31, 2008