Windows program to interface with Motorola V3

Gabstar

Hi all,

I'm trying to write a java program to run on windows that will be able
to read from / write to the phonebook on my Motorola V3. I've tried
searching the web (and of course the Motorola site), but I can't quite
find what I'm looking for - I keep coming up with J2ME references, but
since I don't want anything that runs on the phone, that's not what I'm
after. Anyone know where I can find the info I need to get going?

I'm an experienced java developer, so a shove in the right direction
should be all I need! Thanks in advance.

Oliver Wong

Gabstar said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to write a java program to run on windows that will be able
to read from / write to the phonebook on my Motorola V3. I've tried
searching the web (and of course the Motorola site), but I can't quite
find what I'm looking for - I keep coming up with J2ME references, but
since I don't want anything that runs on the phone, that's not what I'm
after. Anyone know where I can find the info I need to get going?

I'm an experienced java developer, so a shove in the right direction
should be all I need! Thanks in advance.

How is the phone going to connect to the computer? USB? Bluetooth?
Something else?

- Oliver

Gabstar

How is the phone going to connect to the computer? USB? Bluetooth?
Something else?

Probably USB (I think I have a cable lying around somewhere...).

But in any case, I didn't think it would matter on the connection
method - maybe I'm wrong about that?

Oliver Wong

Gabstar said:
Probably USB (I think I have a cable lying around somewhere...).

But in any case, I didn't think it would matter on the connection
method - maybe I'm wrong about that?

When you connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable, the phone
will expose itself as some sort of device (perhaps a universal mass storage
device, for example). This device will have a certain API. You'll have to
look through that API to find out if it exposes the info you want (i.e.
address book info), and then access that info from your Java program.

- Oliver