    i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
    to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
    on. thank you.

    kluge, Jun 22, 2004

  2. kluge

    Peter Hansen Guest

    kluge wrote:

    > i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
    > to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
    > on. thank you.

    That will depend somewhat on what features it uses... but for the
    most part *any* currently available version of Windows will run
    it just fine, as well as probably any version of Windows 98 since
    the second edition was released, and possibly even the first one.

    The only real requirement is that Python will have to be installed
    on whatever machine tries to run it. If that's a problem, you
    can also investigate "py2exe" and use it plus a nice free installer
    program (like InnoSetup) to build an installer that anyone could
    use to install your program, without having to deal with a Python
    download and such.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jun 22, 2004

  3. kluge

    John Guest

    kluge wrote:
    > i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
    > to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
    > on. thank you.

    It should work an any 32 bit Windows (Windows 95 onwards) assuming you
    are not using any libraries specific to later versions (very unlikely
    since you are a newbie :) ). It probably will work on most other
    platforms (Unix, Linux etc) as well if you want it to. Good Luck.

    John, Jun 22, 2004
  4. kluge

    DilbertFan Guest

    With Py2Exe, though, I wouldn't recommend using mxDateTime package in the
    Python program itself.
    A little tricky to get py2exe to actually create the executable with this
    package.

    DilbertFan, Jun 22, 2004
  5. "kluge" <> wrote in message
    > i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
    > to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work

    There is some system information in the "os" module.

    i.e. os.environ contains what is there and os.getenv() reads a single value.

    os.getenv('OS') f.ex. gets the name of the operating system; my box says
    'Windows_NT' although it is really Win2k.

    If you stick to using Python functions *only* for everything
    "system-related" such as manipulating file paths (os.path may help), time
    e.t.c. then your program will probably run on anything Python runs on.

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen, Jun 22, 2004