Windows: Rakudo-Star Perl6 now available as *.msi

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Dilbert, Aug 13, 2012.

  1. Dilbert

    Dilbert Guest

    Hello everybody,

    I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6, but
    I couldn't get the installation / compile from source to run on my
    Windows 7 box (32 bits). I grew more and more frustrated.

    Then I came across a posting "Windows .msi available for Rakudo Star
    2012.07" by pmichaud on http://rakudo.org/2012/07/30/windows-msi-available-for-rakudo-star-2012-07/
    and I installed the Rakudo *.msi file (which is a really simple one-
    click installation process) and it worked perfectly.

    I thought that Windows people on comp.lang.perl.misc are interested to
    know that they too can now run Rakudo-Star Perl 6.

    Dilbert, Aug 13, 2012

  2. Dilbert

    Tim McDaniel Guest

    Perl 6 (was Re: Windows: Rakudo-Star Perl6 now available as *.msi)

    Dilbert <> wrote:
    >I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6

    I've certainly heard of the Perl 6 effort. How's it coming in
    general? As for "Rakudo-Star Perl 6" in particular, how useful is it
    -- mostly featureful or only a few? production quality or buggy?

    --
    Tim McDaniel,
    Tim McDaniel, Aug 14, 2012

  3. Dilbert

    Dilbert Guest

    Re: Perl 6 (was Re: Windows: Rakudo-Star Perl6 now available as *.msi)

    On 14 août, 17:56, (Tim McDaniel) wrote:
    > Dilbert  <> wrote:
    > >I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6

    > I've certainly heard of the Perl 6 effort.  How's it coming in
    > general?  As for "Rakudo-Star Perl 6" in particular, how useful is it
    > -- mostly featureful or only a few?  production quality or buggy?

    I am just a beginner perl 6 user (and an average perl 5 user), but
    judging by the comments of http://rakudo.org/ I would say that "Rakudo-
    Star Perl 6" is useful but not yet production quality. I don't think
    it is buggy, but some features are missing, see also
    http://rakudo.org/2012/07/28/rakudo-star-2012-07-released/

    ++ There are some key features of Perl 6 that
    ++ Rakudo Star does not yet handle appropriately,
    ++ although they will appear in upcoming releases.
    ++ Some of the not-quite-there features include:
    ++
    ++ * macros
    ++ * threads and concurrency
    ++ * Unicode strings at levels other than codepoints
    ++ * interactive readline that understands Unicode
    ++ * non-blocking I/O
    ++ * much of Synopsis 9
    ++
    ++ There is a new online resource at
    ++ http://perl6.org/compilers/features that lists
    ++ the known implemented and missing features of
    ++ Rakudo Star 2012.07 and other Perl 6 implementations.
    Dilbert, Aug 17, 2012