Windows Server 2008 - Error reading configuration information fromthe registry.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Iain, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. Iain

    Iain Guest

    All,

    I get the following error when my web page tries to read from the registry:

    Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration
    file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
    details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: Error reading configuration information from the
    registry.

    Source Error:

    Line 54: -->
    Line 55: <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    Line 56: <identity impersonate="true"
    Line 57: userName=
    "registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    Line 58: password =
    "registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"

    I have given the NETWORK SERVICE read access rights to this key but the
    error still appears. I can't grant access to the ASPNET user as this
    user doesn't exist.

    Any ideas?

    Iain
     
    Iain, Nov 3, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: Windows Server 2008 - Error reading configuration informationfrom the registry.

    On Nov 3, 2:23 pm, Iain <> wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I get the following error when my web page tries to read from the registry:
    >
    > Configuration Error
    > Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration
    > file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
    > details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
    >
    > Parser Error Message: Error reading configuration information from the
    > registry.
    >
    > Source Error:
    >
    > Line 54:         -->
    > Line 55:                <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    > Line 56:     <identity impersonate="true"
    > Line 57:       userName=
    > "registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    > Line 58:       password =
    > "registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"
    >
    > I have given the NETWORK SERVICE read access rights to this key but the
    > error still appears. I can't grant access to the ASPNET user as this
    > user doesn't exist.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Iain


    Hi Iain

    I've tried to follow you problem. I've created a test website under
    IIS7 (Server Standard, SP2, x64) and run

    aspnet_setreg -k:SOFTWARE\app\identity -u:"username" -p:"password"

    This resulted to "Please edit your configuration to contain the
    following:"

    userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"

    Following information from the output I created a web.config as

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <identity impersonate="true"
    userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity
    \ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity
    \ASPNET_SETREG,password">
    </identity>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    and got the same error message as in your case "Error reading
    configuration information from the registry"

    Then I went to registry and found that instead of HKLM\SOFTWARE....
    the key for ASPNET_SETREG was created at

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE
    \Wow6432Node\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG

    So, I manually created app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and added two binary keys for userName and
    password. I copied binary contents from the keys created by
    aspnet_setreg and run the test site again. It works! Now asp.net is
    able to find registry settings. I am not sure why aspnet_setreg
    creates settings under wrong keys. Perhaps we should report about this
    problem to Microsoft, as far as I see there is nothing on this on
    MSDN.

    Hope this helps.
     
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 4, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Re: Windows Server 2008 - Error reading configuration informationfrom the registry.

    Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    >
    > So, I manually created app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG under
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and added two binary keys for userName and
    > password. I copied binary contents from the keys created by
    > aspnet_setreg and run the test site again. It works! Now asp.net is
    > able to find registry settings. I am not sure why aspnet_setreg
    > creates settings under wrong keys. Perhaps we should report about this
    > problem to Microsoft, as far as I see there is nothing on this on
    > MSDN.
    >
    > Hope this helps.


    Hi Alexey

    Thanks for the reply. I've checked my settings and the following
    registry key that I am trying to read exists :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\app\Identity\ASPNET_SETREG

    So it seems aspnet_setreg has created the correct registry entry.

    The problem I reckon is down to permissions. I had the same eror message
    on another machine, but adding the ASPNET user to have read access to
    this key solved the problem. On Windows Server 2008 (where the web page
    is hosted) doesn't have a ASPNET user. Someone recommended adding
    "NETWORK SERVICE" to have read access to the above key but this didn't
    solve the problem.

    Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards
    Iain
     
    Iain, Nov 4, 2009
    #3
  4. Re: Windows Server 2008 - Error reading configuration informationfrom the registry.

    On Nov 4, 11:44 am, Iain <> wrote:
    > Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    >
    > > So, I manually created app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG under
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and added two binary keys for userName and
    > > password. I copied binary contents from the keys created by
    > > aspnet_setreg and run the test site again. It works! Now asp.net is
    > > able to find registry settings. I am not sure why aspnet_setreg
    > > creates settings under wrong keys. Perhaps we should report about this
    > > problem to Microsoft, as far as I see there is nothing on this on
    > > MSDN.

    >
    > > Hope this helps.

    >
    > Hi Alexey
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I've checked my settings and the following
    > registry key that I am trying to read exists :
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\app\Identity\ASPNET_SETREG
    >
    > So it seems aspnet_setreg has created the correct registry entry.
    >
    > The problem I reckon is down to permissions. I had the same eror message
    > on another machine, but adding the ASPNET user to have read access to
    > this key solved the problem. On Windows Server 2008 (where the web page
    > is hosted) doesn't have a ASPNET user. Someone recommended adding
    > "NETWORK  SERVICE" to have read access to the above key but this didn't
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Iain


    hm. that's strange... why it is different for me.

    Regarding your problem. What settings are you using? Mode=Classic? In
    the web.config file <identity impersonate="false/true"/> ?

    Make a test page to see what account is running

    <%@Page>

    Hello, <%=System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name
    %>
     
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 4, 2009
    #4
  5. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Re: Windows Server 2008 - Error reading configuration informationfrom the registry.

    Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    > hm. that's strange... why it is different for me.
    >
    > Regarding your problem. What settings are you using? Mode=Classic? In
    > the web.config file <identity impersonate="false/true"/> ?
    >
    > Make a test page to see what account is running
    >
    > <%@Page>
    >
    > Hello, <%=System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name
    > %>

    Test page returns the domain I'm part of and my username, for example

    mydomain/iain

    For mode, do you mean <authentication mode> , if so this is set to :

    <authentication mode="Windows"/>

    Other setting is :

    <identity impersonate="true"
    userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"
    />
     
    Iain, Nov 4, 2009
    #5
  6. Re: Windows Server 2008 - Error reading configuration informationfrom the registry.

    On Nov 4, 12:56 pm, Iain <> wrote:
    > Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    >
    >   > hm. that's strange... why it is different for me.
    >
    > > Regarding your problem. What settings are you using? Mode=Classic? In
    > > the web.config file <identity impersonate="false/true"/> ?

    >
    > > Make a test page to see what account is running

    >
    > > <%@Page>

    >
    > > Hello, <%=System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name
    > > %>

    >
    > Test page returns the domain I'm part of and my username, for example
    >
    > mydomain/iain
    >


    This is the reason why you can't read registry. You granted Network
    Service to read the key but you used impersonation and running the
    thread under your account. You either should disable impersonation or
    add your account to read the key.
     
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 4, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. HK
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,650
    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)
    Apr 1, 2004
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,607
  3. Toty Santana

    Error reading configuration information from the registry

    Toty Santana, Mar 7, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net Security
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    270
    Luke Zhang [MSFT]
    Mar 7, 2006
  4. Sean Brooks
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    487
    Sean Brooks
    Apr 13, 2006
  5. CronJob
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    160
    Eric Pozharski
    Mar 20, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page