Windows System Restore is terrible

Peter Ammon

Serves me right, I guess. My Windows machine mysteriously stopped
getting any access to the network. I rebooted, reset the TCP settings,
tried the same connection on my Mac (which worked), ran various wizards,
walked through the utterly useless troubleshooting helper, and still had
no networking.

John extolls the prowess of System Restore, so I decided to give it a
try. I figured since networking was working fine yesterday, I could
System Restore to yesterday. And so I did, and networking was still broken.

So let's try even earlier. I used System Restore to go back to the
earliest time it had. Still no networking. Nuts. Oh well, let's go
back to the future, so to speak.

Except you can't go back.

The day is there, I can click on it, and it makes me wait through some
long progress bar and then it tells me that it couldn't restore. So all
my security updates are gone, all my application installations are
essentially inaccessible (I have to tromp through Program Files and
ignore dire warnings to access them), and I still have no networking.

That's what I get for listening to John.

No doubt he'll reply and tell me how he's had fewer than zero problems
on his thousands of machines. It won't help. This really makes me
appreciate my Mac.

Mike Wahler

Peter Ammon said:
Serves me right, I guess. My Windows machine mysteriously stopped
getting any access to the network. I rebooted, reset the TCP settings,
tried the same connection on my Mac (which worked), ran various wizards,
walked through the utterly useless troubleshooting helper, and still had
no networking.

I think also that your mouse must have slipped.
I'm sure you didn't mean to post this here.

:)

-Mike