Windows XP Installation

Smitsky

Hi. I am a newbie to Python. I am running Win XP and want to know what the
best course is for installing Python on my system. Could someone kindly
direct me to some related resources? Thanks in advance, Steve

Kartic

Smitsky,

Did you at least visit python.org, Python main website?

Step 1: Visit www.python.org
Step 2: Click on the download link
Step 3: Located Windows Binary in the list of downloads (choose the
first link - http://python.org/ftp/python/2.4/python-2.4.msi - if you
dont know what Itanium is)
Step 4: Click on the link.
Step 5: Follow browsers instructions to save or open.

The installer will launch and you are on your way to installing Python
on your XP machine. It installs just fine!

Please note that it may ask for Admin rights..if you have it on your
PC, use it or else install it non-admin, meaning the environment will
be set up only for your userid and the DLLs will be in the Python
install location rather than %WINNDIR%

Please note that you may be interested in the win32all extensions if
you want to use COM with your python applications.
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/)
Good luck and python your way!

Thanks,
--Kartic

Irmen de Jong

Smitsky said:
Hi. I am a newbie to Python. I am running Win XP and want to know what the
best course is for installing Python on my system. Could someone kindly
direct me to some related resources? Thanks in advance, Steve

The Python beginners guide contains a lot of information for you:
http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

There's some info on downloading and installing Python too.

Good luck and have fun with Python!

--Irmen

Bob Smith

Smitsky said:
Hi. I am a newbie to Python. I am running Win XP and want to know what the
best course is for installing Python on my system. Could someone kindly
direct me to some related resources? Thanks in advance, Steve

It's really easy on Windows. Just download the install package and click
on it. It only takes one, maybe two minutes top. It's safe to just
accept the default settings.

Good luck.

Smitsky

Thanks Folks. Yes, I did visit the Python site. I just wasn't sure what to
try first. :O) Steve