    Hi. I am a newbie to Python. I am running Win XP and want to know what the
    best course is for installing Python on my system. Could someone kindly
    direct me to some related resources? Thanks in advance, Steve

    Smitsky, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Smitsky

    Kartic Guest

    Smitsky,

    Did you at least visit python.org, Python main website?

    Step 1: Visit www.python.org
    Step 2: Click on the download link
    Step 3: Located Windows Binary in the list of downloads (choose the
    first link - http://python.org/ftp/python/2.4/python-2.4.msi - if you
    dont know what Itanium is)
    Step 4: Click on the link.
    Step 5: Follow browsers instructions to save or open.

    The installer will launch and you are on your way to installing Python
    on your XP machine. It installs just fine!

    Please note that it may ask for Admin rights..if you have it on your
    PC, use it or else install it non-admin, meaning the environment will
    be set up only for your userid and the DLLs will be in the Python
    install location rather than %WINNDIR%

    Please note that you may be interested in the win32all extensions if
    you want to use COM with your python applications.
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/)
    Good luck and python your way!

    Thanks,
    --Kartic

    Kartic, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Smitsky wrote:
    > Hi. I am a newbie to Python. I am running Win XP and want to know what the
    > best course is for installing Python on my system. Could someone kindly
    > direct me to some related resources? Thanks in advance, Steve

    The Python beginners guide contains a lot of information for you:
    http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

    There's some info on downloading and installing Python too.

    Good luck and have fun with Python!

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Smitsky

    Bob Smith Guest

    Smitsky wrote:
    > Hi. I am a newbie to Python. I am running Win XP and want to know what the
    > best course is for installing Python on my system. Could someone kindly
    > direct me to some related resources? Thanks in advance, Steve

    It's really easy on Windows. Just download the install package and click
    on it. It only takes one, maybe two minutes top. It's safe to just
    accept the default settings.

    Good luck.

    Bob Smith, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Smitsky

    Smitsky Guest

    Thanks Folks. Yes, I did visit the Python site. I just wasn't sure what to
    try first. :O) Steve

    Smitsky, Jan 9, 2005