Windows XP Pro, IIS and .NET 3.0/3.5

Just D

Is there any way to get .NET 3.5 in the drop-down list in the Windows XP IIS
Virtual Directory Settings? I'm seeng only 1.1 and 2.0 and that's it. VS2008
is able to use the built-in IIS, but I can't switch to a "real" IIS.

Just D.

Riki

Just said:
Is there any way to get .NET 3.5 in the drop-down list in the Windows
XP IIS Virtual Directory Settings? I'm seeng only 1.1 and 2.0 and
that's it. VS2008 is able to use the built-in IIS, but I can't switch
to a "real" IIS.
Just D.

By installing 3.5, you have updated 2.0 to run all the 3.5 code.
Therefore, in IIS, there is no need for 3.5, just use 2.0 and it will work.

Just D

Thanks, Riki!

You were absolutely right, I opened IIS and then the default file and it
worked.

Although, do you think if it makes sense to switch to VS2008 and .NET 3.5
form .NET 2.0 and VS2005? I guess VS2008 is pretty new and maybe it has some
hidden traps. On the other hand VS2005 is not ideal as well and some bugs
and improvements comparing to VS2003 are pretty annoying. What's your
personal opinion?

Thanks,
Just D.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> do you think it makes sense to switch to VS2008 and .NET 3.5 from .NET 2.0 and VS2005?

VS 2008 fixes many VS 2005 bugs, besides having a slew of new IDE and .NET 3.5 features.

Riki

VS2008 is much better for using style sheets and for debugging JavaScript.

On an older computer however, it is significantly slower.

Riki

Mark Rae [MVP]

re:
!> do you think it makes sense to switch to VS2008 and .NET 3.5 from .NET
2.0 and VS2005?

VS 2008 fixes many VS 2005 bugs, besides having a slew of new IDE and .NET
3.5 features.

And LINQ, which is (IMO) a good enough reason to upgrade on its own...

Not to mention the native AJAX support...