Windows XP: Safari 3

Bernhard Sturm

Has anybody tested it, yet? I've installed Safari 3 under windows XP
home and it just opens the GUI of the Browser wihtout any menus visible.
This seems to be a pre alpha-version. Is it any better under OSX?

cheers
bernhard

SAZ

Has anybody tested it, yet? I've installed Safari 3 under windows XP
home and it just opens the GUI of the Browser wihtout any menus visible.
This seems to be a pre alpha-version. Is it any better under OSX?

cheers
bernhard
I downloded it and have been playing around for about an hour now, no
problems to report, very stable, all menus appear with my Win XP Home.

aidan.sumner

I'm getting the same problem - no menus. I'm also getting no button
captions - in fact no text at all. Not even on the home Apple page.
At first I thought it was the latest in minimalist user interfaces but
then realised that the browser will not allow me to enter an address
or search term,
which doesn't make it the most useful web browser around. Eventually
it stopped responding altogether and I had to kill it off with Task
Manager.

Using XP SP2 Pro on a Dell Inspiron 9300.

MartinDC

I'm getting the same problem - no menus. I'm also getting no button
captions - in fact no text at all.

WHen I start Safari... nothing happens. Nothing at all. It doesn't
even turn up in Task Manager :(

Martin

Bernhard Sturm

MartinDC said:
WHen I start Safari... nothing happens. Nothing at all. It doesn't
even turn up in Task Manager :(
apple claims it to be the fastest browser on earth. indeed: it crashes
faster than any other UA I have installed on my machine (including
IE6.0). It seems also that safari doesn't understand the CSS stlye
font-weight:bold; (as reported in various groups). I am amazed why they
released such a piece of pre-alpha software to the public??

dorayme

Bernhard Sturm said:
apple claims it to be the fastest browser on earth. indeed: it crashes
faster than any other UA I have installed on my machine (including
IE6.0). It seems also that safari doesn't understand the CSS stlye
font-weight:bold; (as reported in various groups). I am amazed why they
released such a piece of pre-alpha software to the public??

Well, maybe there are teething problems getting it on a MS OS,
but Safari 2.0.4 on a Mac certainly reacts well enough to
{font-weight:bold;} and is fast, it loads the app fast, it
browses at a pace as good if not better as any other browser I
have seen. And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured
workhorse as FF for folk interested in website construction but
it is good for browsing generally. So just be patient.

Bernhard Sturm

dorayme said:
And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured
workhorse as FF for folk interested in website construction but
it is good for browsing generally. So just be patient.

I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

bernhard

JD

Bernhard said:
I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

Is there any guarantee though that Safari under Windows will render in
exactly the same way as Safari under Mac? Could there be differences
sneaking in due to the use of native OS APIs and so forth?

Animesh K

Bernhard said:
Has anybody tested it, yet? I've installed Safari 3 under windows XP
home and it just opens the GUI of the Browser wihtout any menus visible.
This seems to be a pre alpha-version. Is it any better under OSX?

cheers
bernhard

It is working fine for me, so far, under WinXP SP2.

So far two problems:

1) with blogger.com's rich-text editor.
2) Extra blank generated after some UTF characters used to write
sanskrit (like ṭa is supposed to give "dotted(t)a"; Safari gives
"dotted(t) a."

Apart from that, all seems to work well.

Best,

Animesh K

JD said:
Is there any guarantee though that Safari under Windows will render in
exactly the same way as Safari under Mac? Could there be differences
sneaking in due to the use of native OS APIs and so forth?

Actually I am interested in this question too. A few days ago I was
thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in Mac.

Hopefully Safari will work across platforms in an identical manner; just
like what firefox does.

Is there any other way to test the pages, apart from buying the
computer/OS. It gets embarassing when pages display incorrectly on
friends' computer.

Best,

Blinky the Shark

Animesh said:
Actually I am interested in this question too. A few days ago I was
thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in
Mac.

Hopefully Safari will work across platforms in an identical manner;
just like what firefox does.

Is there any other way to test the pages, apart from buying the
computer/OS. It gets embarassing when pages display incorrectly on
friends' computer.

There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
*image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......

dorayme

Bernhard Sturm said:
I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

I know what you mean. But think of us Mac folks who have
struggled for years with the more urgent and important mirror
need, to see the elephant browsers, i.e. IE

Me, I keep a winbox. Nowadays, other Mac folk use Intel Macs that
run Windows too. Good luck. (I forget if I mentioned that a
friend of mine emailed me out of the blue to tell me how well
Safari was working on his Winbox - followed by a comment that it
is a "very basic" browser and would not be his choice as
workhorse)

dorayme

Animesh K said:
A few days ago I was
thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in Mac.

If you ever do, you can do it for peanuts for this purpose, you
can get an older iMac for almost nothing ($40 or less)

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
*image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......

This becomes very tedious because one of the big things one wants
to know is the operation of the website under text and browser
window changes.

There is http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

(perhaps more interesting though, is:

<http://www.worldwideexperience.com/southafrica/placements/Vetsafa