    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jun 11, 2007

  2. Bernhard Sturm

    SAZ Guest

    In article <f4kjta$tmu$>, says...

    > Has anybody tested it, yet? I've installed Safari 3 under windows XP
    > home and it just opens the GUI of the Browser wihtout any menus visible.
    > This seems to be a pre alpha-version. Is it any better under OSX?
    >
    > cheers
    > bernhard

    I downloded it and have been playing around for about an hour now, no
    problems to report, very stable, all menus appear with my Win XP Home.

    SAZ, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Bernhard Sturm

    Guest

    On Jun 12, 10:58 am, SAZ <> wrote:
    > In article <f4kjta$>, says...
    >
    > > Has anybody tested it, yet? I've installedSafari3underwindowsXP
    > > home and it just opens the GUI of the Browser wihtout any menus visible.
    > > This seems to be a pre alpha-version. Is it any better under OSX?

    > > cheers
    > > bernhard

    I'm getting the same problem - no menus. I'm also getting no button
    captions - in fact no text at all. Not even on the home Apple page.
    At first I thought it was the latest in minimalist user interfaces but
    then realised that the browser will not allow me to enter an address
    or search term,
    which doesn't make it the most useful web browser around. Eventually
    it stopped responding altogether and I had to kill it off with Task
    Manager.

    Using XP SP2 Pro on a Dell Inspiron 9300.

    , Jun 12, 2007
  4. Bernhard Sturm

    MartinDC Guest

    On Jun 12, 4:59 am, wrote:
    > I'm getting the same problem - no menus. I'm also getting no button
    > captions - in fact no text at all.

    WHen I start Safari... nothing happens. Nothing at all. It doesn't
    even turn up in Task Manager :(

    Martin

    MartinDC, Jun 12, 2007
  5. MartinDC wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 4:59 am, wrote:
    >> I'm getting the same problem - no menus. I'm also getting no button
    >> captions - in fact no text at all.

    > WHen I start Safari... nothing happens. Nothing at all. It doesn't
    > even turn up in Task Manager :(

    apple claims it to be the fastest browser on earth. indeed: it crashes
    faster than any other UA I have installed on my machine (including
    IE6.0). It seems also that safari doesn't understand the CSS stlye
    font-weight:bold; (as reported in various groups). I am amazed why they
    released such a piece of pre-alpha software to the public??

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Bernhard Sturm

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f4ln89$bal$>,
    Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:

    > apple claims it to be the fastest browser on earth. indeed: it crashes
    > faster than any other UA I have installed on my machine (including
    > IE6.0). It seems also that safari doesn't understand the CSS stlye
    > font-weight:bold; (as reported in various groups). I am amazed why they
    > released such a piece of pre-alpha software to the public??

    Well, maybe there are teething problems getting it on a MS OS,
    but Safari 2.0.4 on a Mac certainly reacts well enough to
    {font-weight:bold;} and is fast, it loads the app fast, it
    browses at a pace as good if not better as any other browser I
    have seen. And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured
    workhorse as FF for folk interested in website construction but
    it is good for browsing generally. So just be patient.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 12, 2007
  7. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <f4ln89$bal$>,
    >
    >And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured
    > workhorse as FF for folk interested in website construction but
    > it is good for browsing generally. So just be patient.

    I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
    definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
    installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
    under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jun 12, 2007
  8. Bernhard Sturm

    JD Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <f4ln89$bal$>,
    >>
    >> And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured workhorse as FF
    >> for folk interested in website construction but it is good for
    >> browsing generally. So just be patient.
    >>

    > I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
    > definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
    > installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
    > under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

    Is there any guarantee though that Safari under Windows will render in
    exactly the same way as Safari under Mac? Could there be differences
    sneaking in due to the use of native OS APIs and so forth?

    JD, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Bernhard Sturm

    Animesh K Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:

    > Has anybody tested it, yet? I've installed Safari 3 under windows XP
    > home and it just opens the GUI of the Browser wihtout any menus visible.
    > This seems to be a pre alpha-version. Is it any better under OSX?
    >
    > cheers
    > bernhard

    It is working fine for me, so far, under WinXP SP2.

    So far two problems:

    1) with blogger.com's rich-text editor.
    2) Extra blank generated after some UTF characters used to write
    sanskrit (like ṭa is supposed to give "dotted(t)a"; Safari gives
    "dotted(t) a."

    Apart from that, all seems to work well.

    Best,

    Animesh K, Jun 12, 2007
  10. Bernhard Sturm

    Animesh K Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article <f4ln89$bal$>,
    >>>
    >>> And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured workhorse as
    >>> FF for folk interested in website construction but it is good for
    >>> browsing generally. So just be patient.
    >>>

    >> I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
    >> definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
    >> installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
    >> under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

    > Is there any guarantee though that Safari under Windows will render in
    > exactly the same way as Safari under Mac? Could there be differences
    > sneaking in due to the use of native OS APIs and so forth?

    Actually I am interested in this question too. A few days ago I was
    thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in Mac.

    Hopefully Safari will work across platforms in an identical manner; just
    like what firefox does.

    Is there any other way to test the pages, apart from buying the
    computer/OS. It gets embarassing when pages display incorrectly on
    friends' computer.

    Best,

    Animesh K, Jun 12, 2007
  11. Animesh K wrote:

    > Actually I am interested in this question too. A few days ago I was
    > thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in
    > Mac.
    >
    > Hopefully Safari will work across platforms in an identical manner;
    > just like what firefox does.
    >
    > Is there any other way to test the pages, apart from buying the
    > computer/OS. It gets embarassing when pages display incorrectly on
    > friends' computer.

    There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
    *image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
    it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 12, 2007
  12. Bernhard Sturm, Jun 12, 2007
  13. Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >

    >> There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
    >> *image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
    >> it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......
    >>

    > http://www.browsrcamp.com/
    >
    > http://www.danvine.com/icapture/
    >
    > http://browsershots.org/

    Thanks mate.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 12, 2007
  14. Bernhard Sturm

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f4m8nk$6a2$>,
    Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <f4ln89$bal$>,
    > >
    > >And it looks nice. It is not really such full featured
    > > workhorse as FF for folk interested in website construction but
    > > it is good for browsing generally. So just be patient.
    > >

    > I will :) I was just eager to install it, because it makes life
    > definitely easier for a webdesigner to have Safari on a Windoze-box
    > installed (although I could switch to my Linux-box and test the sites
    > under Konqueror, which is the underlying render-engine of Safari).

    I know what you mean. But think of us Mac folks who have
    struggled for years with the more urgent and important mirror
    need, to see the elephant browsers, i.e. IE

    Me, I keep a winbox. Nowadays, other Mac folk use Intel Macs that
    run Windows too. Good luck. (I forget if I mentioned that a
    friend of mine emailed me out of the blue to tell me how well
    Safari was working on his Winbox - followed by a comment that it
    is a "very basic" browser and would not be his choice as
    workhorse)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 12, 2007
  15. Bernhard Sturm

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f4msn7$2rot$>,
    Animesh K <> wrote:

    > A few days ago I was
    > thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in Mac.

    If you ever do, you can do it for peanuts for this purpose, you
    can get an older iMac for almost nothing ($40 or less)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 12, 2007
  16. Bernhard Sturm

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Animesh K wrote:
    >
    > > Actually I am interested in this question too. A few days ago I was
    > > thinking if I need to get a Mac to test a webpage's functionality in
    > > Mac.
    > >
    > > Hopefully Safari will work across platforms in an identical manner;
    > > just like what firefox does.
    > >
    > > Is there any other way to test the pages, apart from buying the
    > > computer/OS. It gets embarassing when pages display incorrectly on
    > > friends' computer.

    > There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
    > *image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
    > it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......

    This becomes very tedious because one of the big things one wants
    to know is the operation of the website under text and browser
    window changes.

    There is http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

    (perhaps more interesting though, is:

    <http://www.worldwideexperience.com/southafrica/placements/Vetsafa
    ricapture/>

    )

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 12, 2007
  17. Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >

    >> There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
    >> *image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
    >> it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......

    > http://www.browsrcamp.com/
    >
    > http://www.danvine.com/icapture/
    >
    > http://browsershots.org/

    Better yet -- thanks. The one I was thinking of was danvine.com

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 13, 2007
  18. Bernhard Sturm

    Animesh K Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >

    >> There's a web site to which you can submit a URL that will display an
    >> *image* of that page as seen by a Mac. Shit if I can find it -- I hope
    >> it's still there. I'm sure someone in here has a bookmark for it......
    >>

    > http://www.browsrcamp.com/
    >
    > http://www.danvine.com/icapture/
    >
    > http://browsershots.org/
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > bernhard

    Thank you for the list. It indeed helped (and will help).

    Best,

    Animesh K, Jun 13, 2007