Windows XP with no JVM?

Thomas Magma

I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that the
majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

Yikes!!

Gerbrand

Thomas Magma schreef:
I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that the
majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

Installing a JRE is quite easy, if not very easy. The download is quite
big, but most people have broad-band nowadays.
Also, most new computers with Windows have JRE pre-installed as well by
the OEM-vendor.

Gerbrand

Thomas Magma schreef:
I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that the
majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.
Installing a JRE is quite easy, if not very easy. The download is quite
big, but most people have broad-band nowadays.
Also, most new computers with Windows have JRE pre-installed as well by
the OEM-vendor.

Oliver Wong

Thomas Magma said:
I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that
the majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or
would be uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

WinXP has been without a JVM for a long time (mid 2005?). Users are
pretty resourceful at downloading and installing whatever they need to get
something working. Lack of a JVM isn't a problem. .NET is a bigger problem.
Developers might choose to target .NET instead of Java.

- Oliver

Steven J. Sobol

I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that the
majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is yes, but you can go to Java.com, Sun's consumer Java
website, and download browser plugins, which also will install the latest JRE.

And it's pretty effin' simple to do. :) Especially since the major browsers
have functionality that will pop up a message saying "you need to download
the plugin, click here to get it" in many cases.

Andrew Thompson

Thomas said:
I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
JRE.

If the applet deployer has any snese, they might
use one of the following methods to ensure that
either a suitable JVM is installed, or the user is
prompted to download it, or the user is (at the
very least) informed why there is a blank space on
the web page.

The methods are..
- use the applet element with appropriate alt and
'no java' attributes
- use the nested object/embed element that does
Java versioning
- deploy the applet uising webstart (which can also
do Java versioning/prompt for installation)
...This to me is very scary for the future of Java.

Wow! You are *way* behind the times! JVM's began
disappearing from IE around 8(?) years ago!

Andrew T.