    majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
    uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

    Yikes!!

    Thomas Magma, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Thomas Magma

    Gerbrand Guest

    Thomas Magma schreef:
    > I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
    > in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
    > embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
    > JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that the
    > majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
    > uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

    Installing a JRE is quite easy, if not very easy. The download is quite
    big, but most people have broad-band nowadays.
    Also, most new computers with Windows have JRE pre-installed as well by
    the OEM-vendor.

    Gerbrand, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Thomas Magma

    Gerbrand Guest

    Gerbrand, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Thomas Magma

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Thomas Magma" <> wrote in message
    >I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
    >in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
    >embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
    >JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that
    >the majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or
    >would be uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

    WinXP has been without a JVM for a long time (mid 2005?). Users are
    pretty resourceful at downloading and installing whatever they need to get
    something working. Lack of a JVM isn't a problem. .NET is a bigger problem.
    Developers might choose to target .NET instead of Java.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Aug 30, 2006
  5. In article <uKkJg.485607$iF6.172456@pd7tw2no>, Thomas Magma wrote:
    > I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
    > in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
    > embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
    > JRE. This to me is very scary for the future of Java. I would guess that the
    > majority of people on the internet would not have the knowledge or would be
    > uncomfortable executing install programs off the Internet.

    The short answer is yes.

    The long answer is yes, but you can go to Java.com, Sun's consumer Java
    website, and download browser plugins, which also will install the latest JRE.

    And it's pretty effin' simple to do. :) Especially since the major browsers
    have functionality that will pop up a message saying "you need to download
    the plugin, click here to get it" in many cases.

    --
    Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
    Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

    It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

    Steven J. Sobol, Aug 30, 2006
  6. Thomas Magma wrote:
    > I just received a new computer and it doesn't appear that there is any JVM
    > in this version of Windows XP. Does that mean that all applets that are
    > embedded on the Internet will cease to function unless someone installs a
    > JRE.

    If the applet deployer has any snese, they might
    use one of the following methods to ensure that
    either a suitable JVM is installed, or the user is
    prompted to download it, or the user is (at the
    very least) informed why there is a blank space on
    the web page.

    The methods are..
    - use the applet element with appropriate alt and
    'no java' attributes
    - use the nested object/embed element that does
    Java versioning
    - deploy the applet uising webstart (which can also
    do Java versioning/prompt for installation)

    >...This to me is very scary for the future of Java.

    Wow! You are *way* behind the times! JVM's began
    disappearing from IE around 8(?) years ago!

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 31, 2006