Windows2000,Word2003,ASP.Net - Help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Elizabeth Harmon, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Hi All

    I am attempting to open a Word App from a web page on the client and so far
    everything
    works (After reconfig of dcomcnfg for Microsoft Word Document). I have one
    minor problem, i cannot get the application to become visible
    **********What am i doing wrong? is there something else that needs to be
    done to make the application visible? I am using windows 2000 and Word 2002

    thanks in advance

    Samantha

    Below is the Code i am using:
    Class Declarations:

    Public WrdApp As Word.ApplicationClass

    Public wrdLetter As Word.Document

    In Private Sub :

    If WrdApp Is Nothing Then
    WrdApp = New Word.ApplicationClass

    WrdApp.Visible = True

    WrdApp.WindowState=Word.WdWindowState.wdWindowStateMaximize

    End If

    wrdLetter = New Word.Document

    Dim strNewFilePath As String = "C:\Temp\"

    Dim strUniqId As String = Date.Now.Hour.ToString() &
    Date.Now.Minute.ToString()

    Dim NewFileName As String = strPatientName.Replace(" ", "-").ToString() &
    CStr(FormatDateTime(Date.Now, DateFormat.ShortDate)).Replace("/", "-") &
    strUniqId.Replace(":", "-") & ".doc"

    Dim missing As Object

    missing = System.Reflection.Missing.Value

    wrdLetter = WrdApp.Documents.Open(fileName, missing, readonlyAcc, True,
    missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, isVisible,
    missing, missing)

    wrdLetter.Activate()

    wrdLetter.Bookmarks.Item("TodayDate").Range.Text =
    FormatDateTime(Date.Now(), DateFormat.ShortDate)

    wrdLetter.Bookmarks.Item("PatientNM").Range.Text = strPatientName

    wrdLetter.Bookmarks.Item("SSN").Range.Text = strPatientSSN

    wrdLetter.Bookmarks.Item("PCP").Range.Text = strEval

    wrdLetter.Bookmarks.Item("Location").Range.Text = strLocationName

    wrdLetter.Bookmarks.Item("TeacherNM").Range.Text = strTeacherName

    wrdLetter.SaveAs(strNewFilePath & NewFileName)

    wrdLetter.PrintPreview()

    'WrdApp_DocumentBeforeClose(wrdLetter, False)

    wrdLetter.Close()

    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(wrdLetter)

    wrdLetter = Nothing

    WrdApp.Application.Quit()

    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(WrdApp)

    WrdApp = Nothing

    fileName = Nothing

    isVisible = Nothing

    readonlyAcc = Nothing

    Elizabeth Harmon, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Elizabeth Harmon

    Martin Guest

    This is typically an identity issue. If you mess with DCOMCNFG and you
    want a GUI to pop up, make sure the application is run by "the interactive
    user". You can set this on the Identity tab of DCOMCNFG properties.

    From a DCOM perspective, the interactive user "owns" the GUI, hence
    any (pseudo-)remote clients will not get access to the GUI when calling
    services with their own identity.

    Martin, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Does this mean that i should Make the ASP_NET user or the IUSR_MAchineName
    part of another group that has rights to Use the GUI and Application?

    Thanks in advance
    Samantha

    &

    Elizabeth Harmon, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Elizabeth Harmon

    Martin Guest

    Samantha,

    I am not quite sure what you are trying to do, the problem just sounded
    familiar and I guessed I would put you on the right track by telling you
    about the identity of the launching user. Perhaps I just sent you further
    into the woods.

    > Does this mean that i should Make the ASP_NET user or the IUSR_MAchineName
    > part of another group that has rights to Use the GUI and Application?

    I don't think you can delegate the right to use the GUI to anyone but the
    logged on user. This is why the very action is delegated to the logged on
    user.

    Re-reading your earlier message I understand you want to open a Word
    document (which is located on the server) on the client, outside of your
    browser, by automating Word through client side script.

    If this is the case, IUSR_MachineName isn't of much use since it lives on
    the server. The client side script code should be executed under your
    visitor's account, the one that started the browser, which is the
    interactive user on the client side. I don't see an identity issue there.

    Now I believe the problem is in the way you address word from script. There
    should be a method or property on the "Word.Application" object that tells
    it to show a GUI or not.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...dv_wrcore/html/wrgrfapplicationproperties.asp

    Try theVisible property and forget about DCOMCNFG altogether..

    Martin, Nov 30, 2003
  5. Elizabeth Harmon

    Martin Guest

    > The client side script code should be executed under your
    > visitor's account, the one that started the browser, which is the
    > interactive user on the client side. I don't see an identity issue there.

    This had better not be true since it would enable a web site developer
    to erase the visitor's local hard disk using client side script. I am not
    too confident in this area. Anyway, check out that Visible
    property.

    Martin.

    Martin, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Martin

    Thanks for your help.

    I am passing back information From the Server to a web page, and then
    Opening Word on the Client side and then filling bookmarks on the Word
    Template that is located on the Client in an intranet website, with the code
    below:

[...]

    *****

    I can send the information, the word doc file gets its bookmarks filled and
    it is saved on the local client, the only thing missing is the GUI of Word
    which never appears to become visible even though i issue a Visible = true
    propety of the Word App.

    What i want is for the User to see the document so they can review it or
    make any changes to the document. I have disabled the interactive user for
    an indentity that has full rights to the Client machine, i just dont
    understand why the Visible property is not being understood.

    Thanks in advance
    Samantha

    Elizabeth Harmon, Nov 30, 2003
  7. Elizabeth Harmon

    Martin Guest

    Okay, here's another thought.

    You seem to start Word as a COM server by obtainig an interface. Then you
    talk to the interface and I presume the client side script runs out of scope
    at some point. That would be the time for the script interpreter to release
    the interface if you had not done so yourself by setting your WrdApp to
    Nothing. Word would notice there are no COM clients left and would
    terminate. The whole thing could be going so fast that you would never see
    the Word GUI.

    If this is indeed what is happening, it would help to just start Word before
    the firt interface is obtained through

    WrdApp = New Word.ApplicationClass

    Does it work the way you want it to if Word is already up before the script
    kicks in? If so, you need to have the script start a Word instance if it not
    already there. I don't want to start thinking about how to do that yet.

    Better yet would be to have some sort of client side session object to store
    your WrdApp in , preventing it from running out of scope.

    I hope this makes any sense.

    Martin.

    Martin, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Martin

    It may be the case that the word object is coming and going so fast that i
    just dont see it, I may have to use some form of thread.sleep() to hold it
    open for a bit. I am getting everything accomplished except a visual on
    word, the letter is made and saved complete with passsed information, I just
    never see it.

    Thanks for your help

    I'll get back with you
    Samantha

    Elizabeth Harmon, Nov 30, 2003
  9. Changing the COM User to The Interactive User Worked and the Word app
    appeared like i needed so thanks for all your help

    Samantha

    Elizabeth Harmon, Dec 1, 2003
  10. Elizabeth Harmon

    Martin Guest

    Samantha,

    > Changing the COM User to The Interactive User worked

    Groovy. Note that if you need to configure this for several workstations you
    can do so automatically by changing the registry according to the following
    import file:

    ---------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    @="Microsoft Word Document"
    "AuthenticationLevel"=dword:00000000
    "RunAs"="Interactive User"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{00020906-0000-0000-C000-00000000
    0046}]
    @="Microsoft Word Document"
    "AuthenticationLevel"=dword:00000000
    "RunAs"="Interactive User"
    ---------------------------------------

    I assume the GUID will be identical for different Word versions but you may
    want to verify that (I copied it from the DCOMCNFG's property window's
    General tab and did a search for it in the registry). Launching user is
    default, if you change it in the GUI and hit F5 in RegEdit you will see the
    new setting appear.

    Martin.

    > Changing the COM User to The Interactive User Worked and the Word app
    > appeared like i needed so thanks for all your help
    >
    > Samantha
    > "Elizabeth Harmon" <> wrote in message
    > > Martin
    > >
    > > It may be the case that the word object is coming and going so fast that

    > > just dont see it, I may have to use some form of thread.sleep() to hold

    it
    > > open for a bit. I am getting everything accomplished except a visual on
    > > word, the letter is made and saved complete with passsed information, I

    > just
    > > never see it.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >
    > > I'll get back with you
    > > Samantha
    > >

    > > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > > > Okay, here's another thought.
    > > >
    > > > You seem to start Word as a COM server by obtainig an interface. Then

    > you
    > > > talk to the interface and I presume the client side script runs out of

    > > scope
    > > > at some point. That would be the time for the script interpreter to

    > > release
    > > > the interface if you had not done so yourself by setting your WrdApp

    > > > Nothing. Word would notice there are no COM clients left and would
    > > > terminate. The whole thing could be going so fast that you would never

    > see
    > > > the Word GUI.
    > > >
    > > > If this is indeed what is happening, it would help to just start Word

    > > before
    > > > the firt interface is obtained through
    > > >
    > > > WrdApp = New Word.ApplicationClass
    > > >

    > > > Does it work the way you want it to if Word is already up before the

    > > script
    > > > kicks in? If so, you need to have the script start a Word instance if

    it
    > > not
    > > > already there. I don't want to start thinking about how to do that

    yet.

    > > > Better yet would be to have some sort of client side session object to

    > > store
    > > > your WrdApp in , preventing it from running out of scope.
    > > >
    > > > I hope this makes any sense.
    > > >
    > > > Martin.
    > > >

    > > > "Elizabeth Harmon" <> wrote in message

    then