WindowsError is not available on linux?

Peng Yu

It's not clear to me whether WindowsError is available on linux or
not, after I read the document. But I see WindowsError in shutil.py.
Could you somebody let me know what cause the following error?
.... raise WindowsError('WindowsError')
.... except WindowsError as e:
.... print e
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 3, in <module>
NameError: name 'WindowsError' is not defined

Aahz

It's not clear to me whether WindowsError is available on linux or
not, after I read the document.

Here's what I told a co-worker to do yesterday:

if os.name == 'nt':
DiskError = (OSError, WindowsError)
else:
DiskError = WindowsError

try:
disk_operation()
except DiskError:
logit()
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

definition, not smart enough to debug it." --Brian W. Kernighan

Benjamin Kaplan

Here's what I told a co-worker to do yesterday:

if os.name == 'nt':
   DiskError = (OSError, WindowsError)
else:
   DiskError = WindowsError

try:
   disk_operation()
except DiskError:
   logit()
--

Shouldn't that be the other way?
if os.name == 'nt':
DiskError = OSError, WindowsError
else :
DiskError = OSError

exarkun

Here's what I told a co-worker to do yesterday:

if os.name == 'nt':
DiskError = (OSError, WindowsError)
else:
DiskError = WindowsError

try:
disk_operation()
except DiskError:
logit()

This isn't necessary. WindowsError subclasses OSError.

Jean-Paul

Dave Angel

Benjamin said:
Shouldn't that be the other way?
if os.name ='nt':
DiskError =SError, WindowsError
else :
DiskError =SError
Doesn't matter. It's not needed anyway, since WindowsError is derived
from OSError. So just use OSError in the except clause.

DaveA

Aahz

This isn't necessary. WindowsError subclasses OSError.

Thanks! Much appreciated! (I haven't done much Windows programming in
the past -- and would have preferred to keep it that way. ;-)