WindowsError: stack overflow

hardieca

Hi,

I'm developing a program that analyzes all the webpages on my
webserver.

I've created one class, Filewalker(), with a function that returns the
paths of all ASP pages of interest as a list, which I then turn into a
tuple.

I then iterate over the tuple, passing each path to my Analyzer()
class, which immediately creates an instance of Webpage(), which takes
the path and using urllib, downloads the source of the webpage and
returns it as a string to the Analyzer() object. The Analyzer() object
then examines the source, and when it comes across an error in the
source, writes the error to a log file.

I can get through about 1750 pages of 5000 before I get a WindowsError:
stack overflow exception. Any ideas how I can keep the program chugging
along?

Regards,

Chris

Terry Reedy

I can get through about 1750 pages of 5000 before I get a WindowsError:
stack overflow exception. Any ideas how I can keep the program chugging
along?

A typical source of stack overflow is recursion. Without seeing the code
or actual stacktrace, I would guess that you are somehow using recursion
instead of iteration. Or perhaps you are analyzing big, deeply nested
pages.

Terry J. Reedy