Wireless networking: Portable Library

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

I'm looking for a C++ library for wireless networking that will work
on such platforms as Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS. Has anyone here got
experience with this? Can you recommend a library please?

(BTW I've been told to stay away from the Microsoft library because it's
very restrictive on what you can do as regards assigning MAC addresses
and enabling monitor mode; is this true?)

Sherman Pendley

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I'm looking for a C++ library for wireless networking that will work
on such platforms as Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS. Has anyone here got
experience with this? Can you recommend a library please?

Such a library is not part of standard C++.

sherm--

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Sherman Pendley:
Such a library is not part of standard C++.

Really? :-O I thought everything from a hedge-trimmer interface to a
supercomputer had a wireless network card, and thus that it would be part
of "standard C++" as you call it. Geez I'm such a stupid idiot! Really
I'm just plain THICK for thinking it would be part of "standard C++".

In other news, if someone could point me to a wireless portable C++
library that isn't part of the C++ Standard Library, I'd be appreciative;
preferably one which is portable to Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

Daniel Lidstrom

Sherman Pendley:

Really? :-O I thought everything from a hedge-trimmer interface to a
supercomputer had a wireless network card, and thus that it would be part
of "standard C++" as you call it. Geez I'm such a stupid idiot! Really
I'm just plain THICK for thinking it would be part of "standard C++".

In other news, if someone could point me to a wireless portable C++
library that isn't part of the C++ Standard Library, I'd be appreciative;
preferably one which is portable to Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

Here are some libraries that you might find interesting.

http://asio.sourceforge.net/
http://socketstream.sourceforge.net/
http://members.aon.at/hstraub/linux/socket++/

Sherman Pendley

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Sherman Pendley:

Really? :-O I thought everything from a hedge-trimmer interface to a
supercomputer had a wireless network card, and thus that it would be part
of "standard C++" as you call it. Geez I'm such a stupid idiot! Really
I'm just plain THICK for thinking it would be part of "standard C++".

If you know it's not part of standard C++, why did you post your question
to a group where standard C++ is the topic of discussion?
In other news, if someone could point me to a wireless portable C++
library that isn't part of the C++ Standard Library, I'd be appreciative;

And we would be appreciative if you'd ask such questions in a group where
libraries that aren't part of the C++ standard are actually on-topic.

sherm--

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Sherman Pendley:
If you know it's not part of standard C++, why did you post your
question to a group where standard C++ is the topic of discussion?

I write fully-portable C++ programs all the time... except now I want
to work with wireless but I still want to keep things as portable as
possible... hence the request for a cross-platform library.

And we would be appreciative if you'd ask such questions in a group
where libraries that aren't part of the C++ standard are actually
on-topic.

Something tells me that's a very hollow "we". I want advice and
suggestions on a library to use in my otherwise fully-Standard C++
program... where better to ask than comp.lang.c++? Of course, I would
have posted to comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, but it'll be a while for
it's up and running.

Sherman Pendley

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Something tells me that's a very hollow "we". I want advice and
suggestions on a library to use in my otherwise fully-Standard C++
program... where better to ask than comp.lang.c++?

A group where such nonstandard libraries are on-topic, of course.

sherm--

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Sherman Pendley:
A group where such nonstandard libraries are on-topic, of course.

I accept your invitation to point me to one such group.

And as far as I'm concerned, asking about cross-platform libraries is
perfectly on-topic here. Discussing their classes, functions, etc. in
detail tho might be pushing it a big far, that's when I'd take the
conversation elsewhere.

Sherman Pendley

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
And as far as I'm concerned, asking about cross-platform libraries is
perfectly on-topic here.

The group's charter and FAQ say otherwise. Grow up and deal with it.

sherm--

Alf P. Steinbach

* Sherman Pendley:
The group's charter

As I recall clc++ is an old group with no defined charter. Checking...
Nope, <url: ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/comp/>
lists no charter for this group, but does list charters for related groups.

and FAQ say otherwise. Grow up and deal with it.

Well, the FAQ is a bit too restrictive, "Only post to comp.lang.c++ if
your question is about the C++ language itself." It should be clear to
anyone that having the unmoderated group /more/ restrictive than the
moderated one, is less than meaningful. For the comp.lang.c++.moderated
policy see <url: http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm#Policy>, where
the part relevant to discussing cross-platform libraries is

<quote>
The article will not be related solely to the use of a particular
commercial class library (with the exception of the C++ Standard Library
which will be considered part of the language, and cross-platform
publicly available libraries such as Boost and Loki), or compilation
system, or operating system. Example: "How do I clear the screen in
MFC?", or "Why does g++ do this?", or "How do I write a sockets
application?" Newsgroups that are often better for environment-specific
articles include comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*, microsoft.public.vc.*,
and borland.public.cpp*.</quote>
<quote>

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf

Sherman Pendley

Alf P. Steinbach said:
* Sherman Pendley:

Well, the FAQ is a bit too restrictive, "Only post to comp.lang.c++ if
your question is about the C++ language itself." It should be clear
to anyone that having the unmoderated group /more/ restrictive than
the moderated one, is less than meaningful.

That's a very good point. Such questions probably *should* be on-topic
here. I'd be all for putting it up to a vote, and I'd vote for a more
liberal policy. But, unless and until that policy change takes effect,
I still think posters should respect it as currently written.

sherm--

Diego Martins

That's a very good point. Such questions probably *should* be on-topic
here. I'd be all for putting it up to a vote, and I'd vote for a more
liberal policy. But, unless and until that policy change takes effect,
I still think posters should respect it as currently written.

sherm--

I'd vote in Sherman to be the local PITA