WMI and ASP.NET

Richard Schneider

I have code (C# using System.Management) that creates
the DACLs for a folder. This code works on the local
machine and a remote machine using impersonation.

However, when I call the code from an .ASPX page, I get
an "access denied" exception when trying to obtain the
security descriptor. The code is trying to access a
folder on the local IIS server and the IIS Application is
set for Windows Authentication (NTLM) and the web.config
is for impersonation.

After mucking around for a few days, it seems that
WMI is not using the thread token but is using the
process token. Is this true? If it is then is anyway
to get WMI to use my thread token for impersonation when
accessing the local machine?

Thanx in advance
Richard

bruce barker

i don't know which calls your making, but here are some hints.

1) by default com objects do not run in the same thread as the aspx page.
set aspcompat to force the same thread to be used.

2) the token available in aps.net page is not a primary token, and can not
be used to access any network resource, nor can it be dup'd.