won't connect to mysql as root

Nikola Skoric

Hello,

I have a very interesting problem. I'm connecting to local mysql
database using DBI. I can connect and do queries as ordinary user
(username 'nick'), but when I connect as root (username 'root', of
course :) ), I get error "Access denied for user 'root@my_machine'
(Using password: YES)" ... I'm 100% sure the pass is correct. Where
should I search for a problem?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Nikola said:
I have a very interesting problem. I'm connecting to local mysql
database using DBI. I can connect and do queries as ordinary user
(username 'nick'), but when I connect as root (username 'root', of
course :) ), I get error "Access denied for user
'root@my_machine' (Using password: YES)" ... I'm 100% sure the pass
is correct. Where should I search for a problem?

Well, not here, since it's not a Perl problem.

You probably created the database as 'nick'. Whether you are able to
also access it as 'root' is reasonably a MySQL setting issue.

Sherm Pendley

I have a very interesting problem. I'm connecting to local mysql
database using DBI. I can connect and do queries as ordinary user
(username 'nick'), but when I connect as root (username 'root', of
course :) ), I get error "Access denied for user 'root@my_machine'
(Using password: YES)" ... I'm 100% sure the pass is correct. Where
should I search for a problem?

Well, it's primarily a MySQL question... but are you certain that you're
using the correct root password? By default, there are *two* entries in
the user table for 'root' - one for local connections and one for remote.
If they're not the same, you need to be certain you're using the correct
one.

If that doesn't help, you might try a MySQL group or list for a better
answer.

sherm--

Nikola Skoric

Dana Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:53:19 GMT,
(e-mail address removed) kaze:
Well, it's primarily a MySQL question... but are you certain that you're
using the correct root password? By default, there are *two* entries in
the user table for 'root' - one for local connections and one for remote.
If they're not the same, you need to be certain you're using the correct
one.

I'm sure. I have PHP scripts connecting from both localhost and remote
hosts.
If that doesn't help, you might try a MySQL group or list for a better
answer.

OK.

Tad McClellan

Nikola Skoric said:
I have a very interesting problem. I'm connecting to local mysql
database using DBI. I can connect and do queries as ordinary user
(username 'nick'), but when I connect as root (username 'root', of
course :) ), I get error "Access denied for user 'root@my_machine'
(Using password: YES)" ... I'm 100% sure the pass is correct.

What is your Perl question?

Where
should I search for a problem?

You have already found a problem. You need to search for a solution.

Since it is a DB problem, search for the solution is some place
about databases.

This here newsgroup is about a programming language, not about databases...

Marc Bissonnette

What is your Perl question?

mysql> SELECT `question` FROM `comp.lang.perl.misc` WHERE `author`
="Nikola Skoric" and `question` LIKE "%perl%";
Empty set (0.00 sec)
You have already found a problem. You need to search for a solution.

mysql> SELECT `problem` FROM `comp.lang.perl.misc` WHERE `problem` IS NOT
NULL;
Infinite rows in set (9999999 sec)
Since it is a DB problem, search for the solution is some place
about databases.

mysql> SELECT `solution` FROM `comp.lang.perl.misc` WHERE `content` LIKE
"%database%";
Empty set (0.00 sec)
This here newsgroup is about a programming language, not about
databases...

mysql> SELECT `content` FROM `comp.lang.perl.misc` WHERE `content` LIKE
"%database%";
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Ok, so that was lame... It's been a long day :)