    reading it because i DO have customErrors mode=Off

    Why won't it use this file!?
    Thanks
    John, Jun 20, 2006

  2. John

    Damien Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Trying to troubleshoot a web app. I'm getting the usual "set your
    > web.config file to customErrors mode="Off"" message.
    >
    > Anyway, I DO have a web.config file in the root of the app, but it's not
    > reading it because i DO have customErrors mode=Off
    >
    > Why won't it use this file!?
    > Thanks

    Hi John,

    this is normally caused when either
    1) Your application root is a subdirectory below the wwwroot, and has
    not been marked as an application, or,
    2) Your application root is a virtual directory haning off of another
    directory, and the virtual directory has had application removed, or,
    3) (I believe), if the page you're trying to access is within a
    subdirectory of the application, and the subdirectory *has* been marked
    as an application.

    In short, in all 3 cases, IIS is looking for web.config either too high
    or too low in your directory structure, and not reading the one you've
    been editing.

    Damien
    Damien, Jun 20, 2006