Won't Work on MAC

mattrapoport

Hi All, I have never written any code for MACs and I don't own a MAC.
I have an intranet site that has drop down menus very similar to the
ones on this site .. http://www.fedex.com/us/

The menus work perfectly on Windows IE but not at all on MAC IE. Any
chance someone out there can easily identify the problem in my code?
I'm sure I'm referencing some object or event that doesn't exist in
MACs but I can't find any docs that would help me figure out where the
problem is.

Here's the CSS:

text-decoration: none;
color: black;
}
a#pw
{
color: blue;
text-decoration: underline;
cursor: hand;
}
a:hover li
{
background-color: #E35152;
}
ul
{
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
border: 0px none;; list-style-type:none
}
li
{
border-left:2px solid; border-right:2px solid; border-top:0px solid;
border-bottom:2px solid; cursor: hand;
float: left;
position: relative;
font-size: 10pt;
text-align: left;
width: 142;
padding: 4;
background-color: #C0C0C0
}
li ul
{
position: absolute;
left: -2px;
top: 23px;
display: none;
padding: 0;
}
li#title
{
text-align: left;
height: 20px;
font-weight: bold;
padding: 3;
border-left-width: 0;
}
li:hover ul, li.over ul
{
display: block;
}
li:hover, li.over
{
background-color: #E35152;
}

Here's the Javascript:

function startList()
{
if (document.all&&document.getElementById)
{
navRoot = document.getElementById('nav');
for (i=0; i<navRoot.childNodes.length; i++)
{
node = navRoot.childNodes;
if (node.nodeName=='LI')
{
node.onmouseover=function()
{
this.className+=' over';
}
node.onmouseout=function()
{
this.className=this.className.replace(' over', '');

Thanks in advance for the help.

- Matt

Fred Oz

Hi All, I have never written any code for MACs and I don't own a MAC.
I have an intranet site that has drop down menus very similar to the
ones on this site .. http://www.fedex.com/us/

The menus work perfectly on Windows IE but not at all on MAC IE. Any
chance someone out there can easily identify the problem in my code?
I'm sure I'm referencing some object or event that doesn't exist in
MACs but I can't find any docs that would help me figure out where the
problem is.

It may help if you identify which Mac IE you're having problems with.
There is quite a bit of difference between 5.0 and later versions
(support for some 'features' was actually reduced).
[...]
Here's the Javascript:

function startList()
{
if (document.all&&document.getElementById)

Probably nothing to do with your issue, but it seems strange to
restrict operation of the script to only browsers that support both
getElementById and document.all - particularly given that you use
only getElementById.

Have a look in the group FAQ for ways to support document.all.
{
navRoot = document.getElementById('nav');
for (i=0; i<navRoot.childNodes.length; i++)
{ [...]