    Just like I can with PDF files.

    So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site, it
    opens it within IE without any prompts.

    Keith, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Keith

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:02:32 +0100, Keith <@.> wrote:

    > Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page as a
    > plugin?
    >
    > Just like I can with PDF files.
    >
    > So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site, it
    > opens it within IE without any prompts.

    Just link to the file. If their browser is so configured and they have the
    necessary software, it should automatically open the file in the correct
    program.

    Neal, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Keith

    Todd Shillam Guest

    Keith wrote:
    > Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page
    > as a plugin?
    >
    > Just like I can with PDF files.
    >
    > So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site,
    > it opens it within IE without any prompts.

    Keith,

    Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a link within your code
    accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you could launch the HTML Word
    Document in a blank window too--just a thought.

    --
    Best regards,

    Todd Shillam
    Information Technology Consultant
    Shillam Technology
    http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com

    Todd Shillam, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Keith

    Deryck Guest

    > Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a

    link within your code
    > accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you could

    launch the HTML Word
    > Document in a blank window too--just a thought.

    Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
    mark-up?

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Keith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Deryck" <> wrote in message

    > > Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a

    > link within your code
    > > accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you

    could
    > launch the HTML Word
    > > Document in a blank window too--just a thought.
    > >

    > Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
    > mark-up?
    >
    > Deryck

    You could always pass it through DreamWeaver's Word cleanup tool. Or better
    still, just save the documents as PDF.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Keith

    Todd Shillam Guest

    Deryck wrote:
    >> Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then
    >> create a link within your code accordingly? Seems like it would be
    >> much easier; not to mention, you could launch the HTML Word Document
    >> in a blank window too--just a thought.
    >>

    > Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
    > mark-up?

    Deryck,

    Yes--you are correct; however, it was only a suggestion in terms of feasibility. I leave the choice
    for such a circumstance at the person's discretion. However, it is a possibility. Meanwhile,
    SpaceGirl (in another post) suggested using Dreamweaver's Word tool--that looks like a pretty good
    idea.

    Todd Shillam, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Keith

    Kris Guest

    In article <JLCBc.18230$9.net>, "Keith" <@.>
    wrote:

    > Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page as a
    > plugin?
    >
    > Just like I can with PDF files.
    >
    > So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site, it
    > opens it within IE without any prompts.

    Not to put you down but
    a) I don't use IE (and the one you mean, I don't even have; I am on a
    Mac)
    b) I don't have Word. How can I open your file?

    I'd say PDF or RTF is a much better choice. At least I can open that.
    About how the file gets processed after download, the best thing you can
    do is providing the correct MIME type for the files (ask your server
    admin). What happens after that is beyond your control, but most of the
    time something will happen that the visitor wants. If that is not
    enough, you can write up some instructions with it that will be helpful
    forever to those who need them.

    Goodluck.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Keith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a link within your code
    > accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you could launch the HTML Word
    > Document in a blank window too--just a thought.

    Your being facetious right?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Deryck wrote:

    > Wouldnt [saving a Word document as HTML] produce a very large amount of
    > superfluous and convoluted mark-up?

    Yes, but a Word-produced HTML file is better than a Word-produced DOC file.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Keith

    Keith Guest

    I think I will go the PDF route - no hassles that way.

    Thanks

    Keith, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Keith wrote:

    > I think I will go the PDF route - no hassles that way.
    >
    > Thanks

    heh - what if they dont have adobe acrobat reader installed?

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 21, 2004
  12. Keith

    JayB Guest

    "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> wrote in message
    > Keith wrote:
    >
    > > I think I will go the PDF route - no hassles that way.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > heh - what if they dont have adobe acrobat reader installed?

    It's a free download as opposed to purchasing Microsoft Word or Excel.

    --
    JayB

    JayB, Jun 21, 2004
  13. Keith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
    > > mark-up?

    > Yes--you are correct; however, it was only a suggestion in terms of feasibility. I leave the choice
    > for such a circumstance at the person's discretion. However, it is a possibility. Meanwhile,
    > SpaceGirl (in another post) suggested using Dreamweaver's Word tool--that looks like a pretty good
    > idea.

    I went to your web page. As soon as I saw it, I understand your answer
    completely. You have not only pushed the envelope, you have moved it to
    a new demention (sic).

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  14. Keith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <4all.nl>,
    erlands says...
    > Not to put you down but
    > a) I don't use IE (and the one you mean, I don't even have; I am on a
    > Mac)

    Irrelevant, his users obviously do
    > b) I don't have Word. How can I open your file?

    Irrelevant, the people that will open a word document will have word.

    > I'd say PDF or RTF is a much better choice. At least I can open that.

    Irrelevant, the question is not how do I make a document everyone can
    open, it is how do I make a word or excel document open.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  15. Keith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <x3GBc.12$>, says...
    > > > I think I will go the PDF route - no hassles that way.

    > > heh - what if they dont have adobe acrobat reader installed?

    > It's a free download as opposed to purchasing Microsoft Word or Excel.

    Open office a free download so they could use that.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  16. Keith

    JayB Guest

    "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <x3GBc.12$>, says...
    > > > heh - what if they dont have adobe acrobat reader installed?

    > > It's a free download as opposed to purchasing Microsoft Word or Excel.

    > Open office a free download so they could use that.

    I wish more people knew about that. I spent my last half of college using
    Open Office while the rest of my class mates were bragging about their
    _student pricing_ on Microsoft Office.

    Hrm...I tried to tell them...

    --
    JayB

    JayB, Jun 21, 2004
  17. JayB wrote:

    > "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Keith wrote:
    >>

    >>>I think I will go the PDF route - no hassles that way.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>heh - what if they dont have adobe acrobat reader installed?

    > It's a free download as opposed to purchasing Microsoft Word or Excel.

    you could use that argument to say that you can get the MS officer File
    Viewer....

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 21, 2004
  18. Keith

    Deryck Guest

    > > Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
    > > mark-up?

    > Deryck,
    >
    > Yes--you are correct; however, it was only a suggestion in terms of

    feasibility. I leave the choice
    > for such a circumstance at the person's discretion. However, it is a

    possibility. Meanwhile,
    > SpaceGirl (in another post) suggested using Dreamweaver's Word tool--that

    looks like a pretty good
    > idea.

    You're right Todd. You provided a possible solution the OP's problem. I
    didnt mean to sound overly critical or dismissive of it.

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jun 21, 2004
  19. Keith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <EfHBc.17$>, says...
    > > Open office a free download so they could use that.

    > I wish more people knew about that. I spent my last half of college using
    > Open Office while the rest of my class mates were bragging about their
    > _student pricing_ on Microsoft Office.

    Open office is awesome. It gives you everything Microsoft office does,
    (with the exception of some VBscript macros) it exports to PDF for free,
    and to Flash for free.

    Best of all, IT is free!
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 22, 2004
  20. Keith

    Keith Guest

    It's a controlled Intranet environment so everyone will have PDF reader.

    Keith, Jun 22, 2004