    Another question is how to save the document into the database when I
    have it embedded in the web form.

    Thanks!

    cgia, Feb 5, 2004

  2. For such advanced functionality I suggest you look into this product:
    http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-8.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 5, 2004

  3. Using any Office product on the server side of a web application is
    dangerous at best, and becomes more so with an increasing number of users.
    Is there some reason that this text must be formatted and stored as a binary
    file type? There are also performance issues with storing binary files in
    any database. Perhaps you could just store and retrieve the text?

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 5, 2004
  4. cgia

    cgia Guest

    Thanks for your answers.
    I am having some additional comments:

    - I am not really obbliged to use MSWord in the browser, if this
    creates the problem of using MSWord as server-side. What if I launch
    MS Word in the client as an object Word.ApplicationClass from asp.net?
    The application is into the intranet and every workstation has MS
    Office XP installed.
    - The documents to be produced/stored are actually 1-page contracts,
    which I currently store in an SQL database from Paradox front-end as
    pdf, and performances are OK. I guess the performances would remain
    acceptable.
    - My idea to use word is related to the formatting and spell checker
    options it offers, but... what are my chances? How about editing from
    text boxes in the browser and generate an RTF document this way?
    - I cannot afford to purchase a third party product for several
    reasons.

    Could you tell me how feasible is the following solution?
    1) I launch word as a Word.ApplicationClass from asp.net. (I saw
    something in the following article:
    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/wordapplication.asp. I think I
    understand that this way I would execute MSWord as a client
    application, removing the server side issues, right? Any special
    permit to set this way?)
    2) In such word instance I open a template (.dot) whose fields I would
    fill in with data from the database.
    3) In the template I would disable from the menu the "file/save" and
    "file/save as" entries. I would create a new one like "file/save and
    close word" whch would save the file in a temp folder, locally in the
    PC.
    4) Asp.NET uploads the file from the temp folder.

    How else can I generate a kind of contract with asp.net, which can be
    stored?
    I am open to ANY idea. Thanks

    cgia, Feb 7, 2004
  5. cgia

    cgia Guest

    > Using any Office product on the server side of a web application is
    > dangerous at best, and becomes more so with an increasing number of users.

    What is the process to use an Office product on the client side of a
    web application, conversely?

    > Is there some reason that this text must be formatted and stored as a binary
    > file type? There are also performance issues with storing binary files in
    > any database. Perhaps you could just store and retrieve the text?

    That would be perfect, but how to produce the contract document at
    user's request?

    cgia, Feb 7, 2004
  6. cgia

    cgia Guest

    Frantically :) reading on the subject, I see that the only way to make
    word executable at the same time by several people is to execute it on
    the client. In order to do it I guess I have to use client side
    Javascript which opens word. But how abot the security settings in
    these case? And how about the other steps of the process?

    cgia, Feb 7, 2004
  7. > What is the process to use an Office product on the client side of a
    > web application, conversely?

    The client machine has the application installed, and downloads a document
    that the application can read.

    > > Is there some reason that this text must be formatted and stored as a

    binary
    > > file type? There are also performance issues with storing binary files

    in
    > > any database. Perhaps you could just store and retrieve the text?

    > That would be perfect, but how to produce the contract document at
    > user's request?

    That all depends on your requirements, which are ...? In other words, what
    does the client require? Do they require that they can download a
    dynamically-created document immediately, get one emailed to them, wait a
    period of time, etc? Is it a requirement that this be a Word document? For
    example, an RTF document is not a proprietary format.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 9, 2004
  8. cgia

    cgia Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    Actually my requirements are that user are able to produce a contract,
    and that the final copy is stored in the database.

    In order for them to perform spell checks and formatting I have to let
    them download the document locally (RTF generated in the server using
    DB info) and edit it.
    But once thay've done that, how can I save the final version of the
    document back into the DB, in a kind of transparent way. Of course
    they could:

    1) save the document in a local folder
    2) click an import button in the asp.net form
    3) remove the local copy of the document

    Any ideas to make it a bit smoother?

    cgia, Feb 10, 2004