    advice/strategies for using Word Documents with ASP.Net projects. I need to
    be able to create/edit and print word documents from an intranet. Thanks.

    Alex
    Alex, Feb 18, 2005

  2. Alex

    jmferguson Guest

    Currently in our environment we work with .rtf files. This allows for
    quick string manipulation. We do create, edit, and print these
    document/reports dynamically with asp.net. As far as the printing goes
    we normally allow the user hitting the application to download the docs
    into MS Word and print them. We started off using .doc files in vb 6.0
    but the word object was very slow.
    jmferguson, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Good luck.

    Well, not to discourage you, but this topic is rather tricky, due to the web
    environment. When a document is requested from the server, a COPY of the
    document is downloaded by the browser. Editing it won't change the server
    copy. Of course, it can be edited, and even printed, but again, if you need
    to change the original document, you need a different solution.

    Word documents can be linked to with simple hyperlinks, if you only need a
    copy.

    If, on the other hand, you want them to be able to edit and save the
    document back to the server, you need a mechanism to upload the document
    back TO the server. This could be done with a FileUpload control, or any of
    several different solutions that are out there.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Alex

    Craig G Guest

    we use Aspose.Word http://www.aspose.com/

    its a great tool. allows you to create word docs on the server then present
    them to the client as long as they have word installed on their machine

    Craig G, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Thanks for the responses.

    This system is currently running as a Domino app, is there a suggested
    Microsoft way to do this kind of thing ?

    Alex, Feb 18, 2005
  6. All I can think of is using SharePoint Web Portal. I think it does allow you
    to share Word documents in a collaborative manner. But, you would have to
    wait for a MSFT employee to directly answer your question.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=, Feb 18, 2005
  7. You might be able to use one of these techniques:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ExportPanel.aspx
    http://SteveOrr.net/Articles/ExcelExport.aspx

    If you have more advanced needs, I'd recommend going with a 3rd party
    component, such as one of these:
    http://www.SteveOrr.net/Reviews/AsposeWord.aspx
    http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-189.aspx

    --