    (I've done a Google search for "convert word doc to html", and am surprised
    at the high cost of software like "Wordcleaner" and "EasyPro" etc. I imagine
    there are other solutions?!)

    West, Jan 4, 2004

  2. West

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Jan 4, 2004

  3. West wrote:

    > (I've done a Google search for "convert word doc to html", and am surprised
    > at the high cost of software like "Wordcleaner" and "EasyPro" etc. I imagine
    > there are other solutions?!)

    Just use Word's "Save As HTML" feature and then use HTML Tidy
    <URL:http://tidy.sourceforge.net/> to clean up Word's exported mess.

    Alternatively look into OpenOffice.org's HTML export feature which is
    nicer than Word's, and OpenOffice.org can open most Word files fine.

    Or wvWare. Although the project homepage <URL:http://wvware.sourceforge.net/>
    looks a bit dead, it is still being developed. The latest release of wv
    was in September 2003 and the 0.2.1 beta release of wv2 was in November
    2003.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 4, 2004
  4. West

    lostinspace Guest

    lostinspace, Jan 4, 2004
  5. West

    West Guest

    "lostinspace" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    Yeah, yeah, point taken -
    Clients supply me text content in Word and similar apps for inclusion in
    their websites, and these I need to convert to basic html!

    > It's my practice to copy and paste from Word to NOTEPAD and then in to the
    > another html page. You lose all the Word formatting, however you also lose
    > all the bloat and incompatibility.

    No, that is not an option, I want to hold formatting as supplied!

    Thanks,
    West, Jan 4, 2004
  6. West

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok <> wrote in

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=word html&as_ugroup=*html*

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Jan 4, 2004
  7. West

    lostinspace Guest

    > > > What is the recommended software to convert Word documents to

    > "bloat-free"
    > > > Html?
    > > >
    > > > (I've done a Google search for "convert word doc to html", and am

    > > surprised
    > > > at the high cost of software like "Wordcleaner" and "EasyPro" etc. I

    > > imagine
    > > > there are other solutions?!)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >

    > > You mean besides pen and pencil ;-))
    > >
    > > There has been a stigma in this forum and most webmasters forums on
    > > FrontPage which has been caused by Word users creating web pages from

    with
    > > Word. With that aside. . .
    > >
    > > The best thing you can do is start from SCRATCH and create your pages
    > > properly.
    > > The time you spend attempting to correct Word's bloat and

    incompatibility
    > is
    > > wasted merely so you might stay committed to an inefficient product, at
    > > least were web pages are concerned.
    > >
    > > The sole intent of using Word to create web pages is to allow the option

    > of
    > > returning that Word created web page BACK into Word.
    > > To make matters even worse, the amount of bloat that is contained also
    > > depends on if the creator used VML (embedded images.)

    > Yeah, yeah, point taken -
    > Clients supply me text content in Word and similar apps for inclusion in
    > their websites, and these I need to convert to basic html!
    >

    > > It's my practice to copy and paste from Word to NOTEPAD and then in to

    the
    > > another html page. You lose all the Word formatting, however you also

    lose
    > > all the bloat and incompatibility.
    > >

    > No, that is not an option, I want to hold formatting as supplied!
    >
    > Thanks,

    It CANNOT be done with the excpetion of using the web pages in an intranet,
    soley used by MS visitors.
    Any other applicattion of Word formatting preserved in web pages presents
    non-cross-compliant web pages.

    microsoft.public.word.web.authoring
    lostinspace, Jan 4, 2004
  8. West

    Charter Guest

    West" <> wrote in message

    > "lostinspace" <> wrote in message

    Dreamweaver...Has a feature just for that

    Joe
    Charter, Jan 4, 2004
  9. West

    lostinspace Guest

    > >> (I've done a Google search for "convert word doc to html", and
    > >> am surprised at the high cost of software like "Wordcleaner"
    > >> and "EasyPro" etc. I imagine there are other solutions?!)

    > > Do a google groups search and limit it to
    > > comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.
    > >
    > > This is an often asked question in that group (the solutions are
    > > free of course).
    > >

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=word html&as_ugroup=*html*
    >
    > --
    > Kayode Okeyode

    I did open the google groups link you provided. Thanks.

    However, I'm willing to wager that you will NOT find a product that will
    TOTALLY eliminate and make the Word pages cross-compliant. It just doesn't
    exists.

    I've spent the past months in the Word NG's in an attempt to make it an
    issue that Word should NOT be used with or associated with any attempt at
    creating web pages. I do appear to be making some progress :))

    It is urgent that you understand the typical Word user :-(
    Most use Word for nearly everything. They believe that Word and MS are all
    that exists.
    Can you imagine somebody inclined to open a web page for viewing in Word?
    I nearly vomited when I read that and yet it is nearly impossible to
    convince these Word users that such things are improper use of the product.

    They want their web pages fast and easy regardless of the consequences or
    incompatibilities and are unwilling to see anything beyond the scope of Word
    :-(
    Hell! Most of them even disregard the cautions inserted into the Word Help
    files concerning Word created web pages. They just believe Word can do
    anything :-(
    lostinspace, Jan 4, 2004
  10. West

    lostinspace Guest

    > > "bloat-free"

    > > > surprised
    > > > imagine

    > > > You mean besides pen and pencil ;-))
    > > >
    > > > There has been a stigma in this forum and most webmasters forums on
    > > > FrontPage which has been caused by Word users creating web pages from

    > with
    > > > Word. With that aside. . .
    > > >
    > > > The best thing you can do is start from SCRATCH and create your pages
    > > > properly.
    > > > The time you spend attempting to correct Word's bloat and

    > incompatibility
    > > is
    > > > wasted merely so you might stay committed to an inefficient product,

    at
    > > > least were web pages are concerned.
    > > >
    > > > The sole intent of using Word to create web pages is to allow the

    option
    > > of
    > > > returning that Word created web page BACK into Word.
    > > > To make matters even worse, the amount of bloat that is contained also
    > > > depends on if the creator used VML (embedded images.)

    > > Yeah, yeah, point taken -
    > > Clients supply me text content in Word and similar apps for inclusion in
    > > their websites, and these I need to convert to basic html!
    > >

    > > > It's my practice to copy and paste from Word to NOTEPAD and then in to

    > the
    > > > another html page. You lose all the Word formatting, however you also

    > lose
    > > > all the bloat and incompatibility.
    > > >

    > > No, that is not an option, I want to hold formatting as supplied!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > >

    > Dreamweaver...Has a feature just for that
    >
    > Joe

    Joe, Joe.

    Do you not read the insights provided here by the purists?
    Why replace one lame product (at least as far as creating web pages,) with
    another lame product.

    Have you not read the of incompatability of DW?

    Golly gee. . .next we''ll be advising misguided Word users to use Adobe Go
    Live in an attempt to make their improperly created Word pages compliant
    ;-)))
    lostinspace, Jan 4, 2004
  11. West

    kayodeok Guest

    "lostinspace" <> wrote in

    > It is urgent that you understand the typical Word user :-(
    > Most use Word for nearly everything. They believe that Word and
    > MS are all that exists.
    > Can you imagine somebody inclined to open a web page for viewing
    > in Word? I nearly vomited when I read that and yet it is nearly
    > impossible to convince these Word users that such things are
    > improper use of the product.
    >
    > They want their web pages fast and easy regardless of the
    > consequences or incompatibilities and are unwilling to see
    > anything beyond the scope of Word
    >:-(
    > Hell! Most of them even disregard the cautions inserted into the
    > Word Help files concerning Word created web pages. They just
    > believe Word can do anything :-(

    I understand your pain, I manage the Finance Intranet at work, by
    "manage", I mean that there are many content providers but I am
    responsible for the look which is hard enough until I found out that
    my superiors have been telling the other content providers to just
    save the Word/Excel File as html and be done with it.

    Which is OK since it is an Intranet environment and I cannot
    countermand my superiors, but inevitably, somebody attempts to modify
    the html outputted by either Word/Excel because the presentation
    "does not look right", gets it wrong and then asks for my help!

    Which is OK since it is my job except that I cannot read the html
    outputted by either Excel/Word and I cannot convince the content
    providers/my superiors that the output I am staring at is not html!

    These days, we use a content management system so I no longer have
    this problem.

    kayodeok, Jan 4, 2004
  12. West

    Richard Guest

    West wrote:

    > What is the recommended software to convert Word documents to
    > "bloat-free" Html?

    > (I've done a Google search for "convert word doc to html", and am
    > surprised at the high cost of software like "Wordcleaner" and "EasyPro"
    > etc. I imagine there are other solutions?!)

    Use a straight forward text device such as notepad.
    Save the document as "index.html" and include the quotes.
    Richard, Jan 5, 2004
  13. West

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:55:20 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
    wrote:

    > West wrote:
    >
    > > What is the recommended software to convert Word documents to
    > > "bloat-free" Html?

    MS has a "compact HTML" filter you can install to save without all
    the MS garbage. You still have cleaning to do after that but it is
    much cleaner. It's free at their site.
    Bob, Jan 7, 2004
  14. West

    jeb Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:30:26 GMT, Bob <>
    wrote:

    >MS has a "compact HTML" filter you can install to save without all
    >the MS garbage. You still have cleaning to do after that but it is
    >much cleaner. It's free at their site.

    The MS HTML Filter v2.0 works on Word 2000 and older. It does not work
    on OfficeXP (i.e., Word 2002 or 2003).

    You may also want to look at something called PureText which coverts
    sections of the Word document that you have copied to the clipboard
    into plain ASCII text.

    jeb

    John E. Brandt
    Augusta, Maine

    (remove nospam)
    www.jebswebs.com
    jeb, Jan 7, 2004
  15. West

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:01:30 -0500, jeb declared in alt.html:

    > The MS HTML Filter v2.0 works on Word 2000 and older. It does not work
    > on OfficeXP (i.e., Word 2002 or 2003).

    Does here (Word 2002). :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jan 7, 2004
  16. wrote:

    > You may also want to look at something called PureText which coverts
    > sections of the Word document that you have copied to the clipboard
    > into plain ASCII text.

    You mean like pasting into Notepad does. ;-)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 7, 2004
  17. West

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:22:03 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >> You may also want to look at something called PureText which coverts
    >> sections of the Word document that you have copied to the clipboard
    >> into plain ASCII text.

    >You mean like pasting into Notepad does. ;-)

    Sometimes with Word2K+ you end up with MS's horrid XML/VML based
    format when you just dump it into notepad. I forget the conditions
    under which this occurs but I used to it as a demo of where/how
    MS was going with Office/FP/Intranet integration starting with
    Office 2K.
    Bob, Jan 8, 2004