    Thanks,
    Dan

    , Sep 6, 2005

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On 5 Sep 2005 18:54:14 -0700, wrote or quoted :

    >I have been looking for a way to convert Office files (.doc/.xls/.ppt)
    >to images such as tif or jpegs.
    >
    >Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready for docs
    >yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.
    >
    >Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pdf.html

    It might be possible to go via PDF. There are a number of tools to
    convert to PDF.

    The chain could get long, but possibly PDF -> postscript -> image.

    PDFs are getting to be very common on the web. Perhaps you could use
    them in preference to images. Images are very fluffy.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Joan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have been looking for a way to convert Office files
    >(.doc/.xls/.ppt)
    > to images such as tif or jpegs.
    >
    > Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready
    > for docs
    > yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.
    >
    > Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?
    >
    > I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a
    > Linux
    > environment.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    I was reading a perl magazine a couple weeks ago and there was a
    perl
    script to extract graphics pictures from MS Word documents. You
    could do
    the same thing in Java. Use google there are lots of things out
    there.

    Joan, Sep 7, 2005

    I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
    not much useful stuff.

    Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
    too...meaning w/o gui and asap.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Joan wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I have been looking for a way to convert Office files
    > >(.doc/.xls/.ppt)
    > > to images such as tif or jpegs.
    > >
    > > Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready
    > > for docs
    > > yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?
    > >
    > > I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a
    > > Linux
    > > environment.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dan
    > >

    > I was reading a perl magazine a couple weeks ago and there was a
    > perl
    > script to extract graphics pictures from MS Word documents. You
    > could do
    > the same thing in Java. Use google there are lots of things out
    > there.

    , Sep 7, 2005
  5. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
    > not much useful stuff.
    >
    > Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
    > too...meaning w/o gui and asap.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    Do you plan on using Office or writing a stand-alone app?

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Sep 7, 2005

    I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
    (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.

    Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

    Oliver Wong wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
    > > not much useful stuff.
    > >
    > > Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
    > > too...meaning w/o gui and asap.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dan

    > Do you plan on using Office or writing a stand-alone app?
    >
    > - Oliver

    , Sep 8, 2005
  7. Joan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
    > (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
    >
    > Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

    <snip>

    I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all the
    stuff
    to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

    Joan, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Joan" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
    >> (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
    >>
    >> Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all the stuff
    > to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

    To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render the
    ..DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he does not plan on
    using Office.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
    > (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
    >
    > Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

    Do you know the file formats?

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Joan Guest

    "Oliver Wong" <> wrote in message

    > "Joan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
    >>> (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
    >>>
    >>> Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all
    >> the stuff
    >> to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

    > To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render
    > the .DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he
    > does not plan on using Office.
    >
    > - Oliver

    If the issue is cost, MS has free viewer programs that I use to
    display XLS and PPT
    files on screen; and they work very well. They also have for DOC
    but I already
    have MS Word. They have more viewers and converters as well.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

    Microsoft Office File Converter Pack
    Microsoft Word
    Microsoft PowerPoint
    Microsoft Outlook
    Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft Access
    Microsoft Visio

    Joan, Sep 8, 2005

    I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
    (DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.

    Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
    converting.

    Does anyone know how to do this?

    Joan wrote:
    > "Oliver Wong" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Joan" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> <snip>
    > >>
    > >> I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all
    > >> the stuff
    > >> to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

    > > To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render
    > > the .DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he
    > > does not plan on using Office.
    > >
    > > - Oliver

    > If the issue is cost, MS has free viewer programs that I use to
    > display XLS and PPT
    > files on screen; and they work very well. They also have for DOC
    > but I already
    > have MS Word. They have more viewers and converters as well.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp
    >
    > Microsoft Office File Converter Pack
    > Microsoft Word
    > Microsoft PowerPoint
    > Microsoft Outlook
    > Microsoft Excel
    > Microsoft Access
    > Microsoft Visio

    , Sep 9, 2005
  12. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
    > (DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.
    >
    > Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
    > converting.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this?

    See my post in another branch of this thread where I ask if you know the
    fileformats. 'Cause if you don't, you're in for a hard time.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Sep 9, 2005

    Oliver,

    What do you mean by file formats?

    I would assume you mean .doc/.xls/.ppt ...and converting to .tifs.

    Let me know if you are looking for something other than this.

    Oliver Wong wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
    > > (DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.
    > >
    > > Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
    > > converting.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to do this?

    > See my post in another branch of this thread where I ask if you know the
    > fileformats. 'Cause if you don't, you're in for a hard time.
    >
    > - Oliver

    , Sep 10, 2005
  14. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Oliver,
    >
    > What do you mean by file formats?

    Can you write a simple Java program that outputs a .DOC file such that
    when you open that .DOC file in Microsoft Word, the user can see the phrase
    "Hello world!"? Most people can't, because they wouldn't know what sequence
    of bytes to put into the file. That knowledge, of knowing the meaning of
    sequences of bytes, is called the file format.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Sep 12, 2005

    wrote:
    > I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
    > (DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.
    >
    > Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
    > converting.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this?

    Have you considered utilizing Open Office (www.openoffice.org). It has
    a C and Java APIs and most likely, you can at least convert the files to
    a postscript or pdf format (by printing to file or exporting to a PDF).
    Once there, you can utilize ghostscript to convert from ps to tiff.

    , Sep 13, 2005