Word/Excel/PowerPoint Conversion to Images

djgavenda2

I have been looking for a way to convert Office files (.doc/.xls/.ppt)
to images such as tif or jpegs.

Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready for docs
yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.

Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?

I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a Linux
environment.

Thanks,
Dan

Roedy Green

I have been looking for a way to convert Office files (.doc/.xls/.ppt)
to images such as tif or jpegs.

Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready for docs
yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.

Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pdf.html

It might be possible to go via PDF. There are a number of tools to
convert to PDF.

The chain could get long, but possibly PDF -> postscript -> image.

PDFs are getting to be very common on the web. Perhaps you could use
them in preference to images. Images are very fluffy.

Joan

I have been looking for a way to convert Office files
(.doc/.xls/.ppt)
to images such as tif or jpegs.

Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready
for docs
yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.

Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?

I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a
Linux
environment.

Thanks,
Dan
I was reading a perl magazine a couple weeks ago and there was a
perl
script to extract graphics pictures from MS Word documents. You
could do
the same thing in Java. Use google there are lots of things out
there.

djgavenda2

I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
not much useful stuff.

Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
too...meaning w/o gui and asap.

Thanks,
Dan

Oliver Wong

I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
not much useful stuff.

Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
too...meaning w/o gui and asap.

Thanks,
Dan

Do you plan on using Office or writing a stand-alone app?

- Oliver

djgavenda2

I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
(.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.

Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

Joan

I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
(.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.

Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.
<snip>

I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all the
stuff
to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

Oliver Wong

Joan said:
<snip>

I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all the stuff
to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render the
..DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he does not plan on
using Office.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
(.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.

Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

Do you know the file formats?

- Oliver

Joan

Oliver Wong said:
To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render
the .DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he
does not plan on using Office.

- Oliver

If the issue is cost, MS has free viewer programs that I use to
display XLS and PPT
files on screen; and they work very well. They also have for DOC
but I already
have MS Word. They have more viewers and converters as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

Microsoft Office File Converter Pack
Microsoft Word
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Access
Microsoft Visio

djgavenda2

I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
(DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.

Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
converting.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Oliver Wong

I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
(DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.

Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
converting.

Does anyone know how to do this?

See my post in another branch of this thread where I ask if you know the
fileformats. 'Cause if you don't, you're in for a hard time.

- Oliver

djgavenda2

Oliver,

What do you mean by file formats?

I would assume you mean .doc/.xls/.ppt ...and converting to .tifs.

Let me know if you are looking for something other than this.

Oliver Wong

Oliver,

What do you mean by file formats?

Can you write a simple Java program that outputs a .DOC file such that
when you open that .DOC file in Microsoft Word, the user can see the phrase
"Hello world!"? Most people can't, because they wouldn't know what sequence
of bytes to put into the file. That knowledge, of knowing the meaning of
sequences of bytes, is called the file format.

- Oliver

gerrards8

I do not want a screen dump....I need a conversion of office files
(DOC/XLS/PPT) to TIF.

Would like to do it in Java or C....gonna be on a Linux box when
converting.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Have you considered utilizing Open Office (www.openoffice.org). It has
a C and Java APIs and most likely, you can at least convert the files to
a postscript or pdf format (by printing to file or exporting to a PDF).
Once there, you can utilize ghostscript to convert from ps to tiff.