Word Perfect integration

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Gordon, Aug 18, 2011.

  1. John Gordon

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> Ethan Furman <> writes:

    > I have WordPerfect v13 which we are currently using for letter merges.
    > I would like to automate this with Python instead of learning the WP
    > Macro language.

    I suspect that learning how to integrate python with wordperfect will
    end up being much more work than learning wordperfect macros.

    Just my two cents.

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

    John Gordon, Aug 18, 2011

  2. John Gordon

    Ethan Furman Guest

    I have WordPerfect v13 which we are currently using for letter merges.
    I would like to automate this with Python instead of learning the WP
    Macro language.

    Does anyone have any pointers?

    ~Ethan~

    Ethan Furman, Aug 18, 2011

  3. John Gordon

    Alec Taylor Guest

    wow, people still use WordPerfect?

    Alec Taylor, Aug 18, 2011
  4. John Gordon

    Ethan Furman Guest

    Alec Taylor wrote:
    > wow, people still use WordPerfect?

    Them's fightin' words right there! :)

    Yes, we still use Word Perfect, and will as long as it is available.
    The ability to see the codes in use (bold, margins, columns, etc) has so
    far been unequaled in anything else I have looked at.

    ~Ethan~

    Ethan Furman, Aug 18, 2011
  5. John Gordon

    Ethan Furman Guest

    John Gordon wrote:
    > I suspect that learning how to integrate python with wordperfect will
    > end up being much more work than learning wordperfect macros.

    Possibly... but I enjoy coding in Python. :)

    ~Ethan~

    Ethan Furman, Aug 18, 2011
  6. John Gordon

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 8/18/2011 3:24 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
    > Alec Taylor wrote:
    >> wow, people still use WordPerfect?

    > Them's fightin' words right there! :)
    >
    > Yes, we still use Word Perfect, and will as long as it is available. The
    > ability to see the codes in use (bold, margins, columns, etc) has so far
    > been unequaled in anything else I have looked at.

    Definitely. I did a book with WP and periodically went through with
    codes revealed to delete any junk and got the camera-ready copy I
    wanted. I have recently used OpenO modeled after MSO and occasionally
    get frustrated when I cannot see what it actually inserts, to explain
    why it does not behave as expected.

    That aside, if you are on Windows, check the list archives for 'office
    automation' or somesuch. If WP has the standard API, I believe the
    answer is to use the PythonWin extensions, included with the ActiveState
    Python distribution and available on SourceForge.
    There is a windows module includes in the stdlib, but I do not know if
    it has enough.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Aug 18, 2011
  7. John Gordon

    Seebs Guest

    On 2011-08-18, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > Yes, we still use Word Perfect, and will as long as it is available.
    > The ability to see the codes in use (bold, margins, columns, etc) has so
    > far been unequaled in anything else I have looked at.

    I have used other software that had this functionality, but not so much
    lately. (Although it appears that PageStream still does this, which is
    totally of relevance to someone, I'm sure.)

    But yeah, that was an AMAZING feature, and not having it is one of the
    reasons I'm so often unable to get things done in MS Word.

    Sadly, Corel dropped Mac and Linux support, and I don't do real work on
    Windows, so WP has been off my list for a long time now. :(

    -s

    Seebs, Aug 19, 2011
  8. John Gordon

    aspineux Guest

    On Aug 18, 7:00 pm, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > I have WordPerfect v13 which we are currently using for letter merges.
    > I would like to automate this with Python instead of learning the WP
    > Macro language.
    >
    > Does anyone have any pointers?

    paper letter or eletronic mail merger ?

    What you need is :

    - 1. write a "template" in WP with tag like <NAME> <DATE> <ADDRESS>
    - 2. make a database with the corresponding data
    - 3. replace tag by data from a database, and generate a new WP
    document
    - 4. print all these ducument.

    1 & 2 are not programming related
    3. Should not be impossible, look at the wp binary file if you can
    find and replace the tag
    4. More difficult: can you start a print job from a command line ? or
    put all file in
    a directory, then start WP and ask him to print all file in this
    directory or create print job and
    put them in a queue and hope WP will process the queue.

    Regards

    > ~Ethan~

    Alain

    aspineux, Aug 19, 2011
  9. John Gordon

    Alec Taylor Guest

    :p

    Personally, I use LaTeX, which fits all my requirements.

    Alec Taylor, Aug 19, 2011