Word Security when opened from asp hyperlink

Jason

I have a document saved to a public network server. The public directory
grants change access to all users on the network. To keep my Word doc
protected I am using the Security feature "File Sharing Options" in Word to
attach a password to the document. This works as expected when users open the
file with Windows Explorer.

I also have an ASP web page that has a link to my file on the public drive.
When I click this link, the Word document loads without asking me for a
password and is not read-only. (Note the link in formatted with an href
attribute like this: file://servername/share/filename.doc)

Am I mssing something? Shouldn't the Word security work even if the file is
accessed through a hyperlink?

Regards,
Jason