word with symbol in it - how to mark up?

Michael Wilcox

Spartanicus said:
If you knew that it wasn't going to work, why did you propose it?

Just a thought, since a browser might come along and support it. How about:

span
{
display: none;
}

Disco Octopus

nice.guy.nige said:
Well. I am going to have to agree with what /i/ /think/ you are
trying to say.

<aol>Me too!</aol>

If that is your point rf,

Wasn't it Jukka you were replying to?

Indeed it was. its just that they look so similar behind my dirty monitor.
The point is perfectly clear, thank you. As I said, I was just
pondering as this is something I've never come across before, either
in work, or in the several years I have been in news:alt.html.

Yep. It is an interest thing ponder, I agree.

Spartanicus

Michael Wilcox said:
Just a thought, since a browser might come along and support it. How about:

span
{
display: none;
}

The display property is part of the visual formatting model, hence it
doesn't affect the aural rendering.

Michael Wilcox

Spartanicus said:
The display property is part of the visual formatting model, hence it
doesn't affect the aural rendering.

Quote: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/aural.html#propdef-speak
"Suppresses aural rendering so that the element requires no time to render.
Note, however, that descendants may override this value and will be spoken.
(To be sure to suppress rendering of an element and its descendants, use the
'display' property)."

Quote: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-display
'display'
[ . . . ]
Media: all

Chris Morris

nice.guy.nige said:
"oh dear..." I have a logo I can use on the page with the '£' in it, and
replace all the text versions with normal English! Should keep them happy,
especially if I explain the accessibility side of it. Apart from anything
else, what language would I identify it as?? ;-)

marketing-en (or en-marketing for the more readable dialect).

Depending on the page content overall it may be more efficient to do
for the bits that are actually in English.

nice.guy.nige

marketing-en (or en-marketing for the more readable dialect).

Assuming this means "Marketing English", I think we have an oxymoron here!
Today at the college, I actually overheard someone use the words "Holistic"
and "Customer Focussed" in the same sentence! There should be a law!!! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Kris

marketing-en (or en-marketing for the more readable dialect).

Assuming this means "Marketing English", I think we have an oxymoron here!
Today at the college, I actually overheard someone use the words "Holistic"
and "Customer Focussed" in the same sentence! There should be a law!!! ;-)[/QUOTE]

At least there is a site for it.
<http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html>