word wrapping with white spaces

himanshupoddar

hello,
i hv made a table and it gets data from my database, and has used word
wrapping so that table column remain in fixed size. it works well till
my data doesnt hv spaces in it but when spaces included the size of the
column expands, i dont want to trim the size of the data itself becoz i
want uses to see whole of the data in tooltip.

i hv received some suggestions, some said it may be infacted
explorer,another said its not possible to include spaces and word wrap
together. but still i m hope full that there should be some way out.

so please help.....

thanx

jojo

Sorry, didn't get your point yet.

i hv made a table and it gets data from my database,

What database? How does the table get the data?
and has used word wrapping so that table column remain in fixed size.

Guess you mean the CSS
word-wrap:break-word
it works well till my data doesnt hv spaces in it but when spaces
included the size of the column expands, i dont want to trim the
size of the data itself becoz i want uses to see whole of the data
in tooltip.

Didn't get the meaning of that. What tooltip?
i hv received some suggestions, some said it may be infacted
explorer,another said its not possible to include spaces and word wrap
together. but still i m hope full that there should be some way out.

so please help.....

thanx

Might be helpful for me (and others, too) if you can give an URL or at
least post the code you used.

BTW: There are a few people outside who ignore postings which are hard
to read or written very colloquial.
In your case: Is it such a waste of time to write "have" that you have
to abbreviate it? Not to mention the "becoz"... I mean, wow, you
shortened the word by three letters... respect!
And you don't have a shift-key to write capital-letters at the beginning
of a sentence i guess?
At least you could try to use right grammar and make full sentences,
especially the end of your posting is very, very hard to read... Might
be that you're not English (guess that because of your spelling ("hope
full" => "hopeful"), but most other people in the Usenet (including
myself) are not, too...
Oh, and a "Can someone help me?" or "Can someone give me an advise?"
might be more polite than "So please help..." (Which sounds like "Here
is my problem, now do what you're here to do and help me!!") You don't
really think that all the people out there have nothing else to do than
solving your problem, do you? I guess you don't... ;-)

Just an advise, you don't have to take it, but in your own interest:
Better more people read your question (so there are more which perhaps
have an answer)... ;-)

Jonathan N. Little

jojo said:
Sorry, didn't get your point yet.

What database? How does the table get the data?

Guess you mean the CSS
word-wrap:break-word

word-wrap, hmmm that's a new one on me. Don't know of any CSS property
'word-wrap', 'white-space' I believe is what you mean, else it's some MS
proprietary junk. If so, it would be okay for a Windows apps but not a
web page.

This question gets asked nearly a million times, you cannot force
hyphenation of words with HTML, you must do it with your script as you
parse the query results.

Tooltip eh? The only way I know of a browser showing a tooltip is when
your set the element's 'title' attribute but one must note that long
strings are truncated by user agents, and the length of which is *very*
browser depended. Title tooltips are *not* a very good location for
important data. You could use a JavaScript generated tooltip, but one
must understand that is also not dependable for important data.

jojo

Jonathan said:
word-wrap, hmmm that's a new one on me. Don't know of any CSS property
'word-wrap', 'white-space' I believe is what you mean, else it's some MS
proprietary junk. If so, it would be okay for a Windows apps but not a
web page.

Yes, word-wrap is a IE-only property which Microsoft invented. That's
the reason I asked - of course it does not work properly (How else
could it be - it's Microsoft).
This question gets asked nearly a million times, you cannot force
hyphenation of words with HTML, you must do it with your script as you
parse the query results.

Tooltip eh? The only way I know of a browser showing a tooltip is when
your set the element's 'title' attribute but one must note that long
strings are truncated by user agents, and the length of which is *very*
browser depended. Title tooltips are *not* a very good location for
important data. You could use a JavaScript generated tooltip, but one
must understand that is also not dependable for important data.

Yes, try to do everything without JS, use it only if it's absolutely
necessary.

Jim Moe

i hv made a table and it gets data from my database, and has used word
wrapping so that table column remain in fixed size. it works well till
my data doesnt hv spaces in it but when spaces included the size of the
column expands, i dont want to trim the size of the data itself becoz i
want uses to see whole of the data in tooltip.
Do this:

"overflow:auto" adds a horizontal scroll bar, which not be what you want.