    and column width and font size.

    Illumination?

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Brian Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:
    > It seems that there can be too many words on a line. This is a problem
    > with pages that are not fixed width
    >
    > There seems to be a few problems.

    The short answer is that the css spec will be useful reading.

    xposted to ciwa-stylesheets, f'ups set (please set followups when
    xposting)

    > I would think that there are already "formulas" for word count,

    No, but there is the css max-width property, e.g.,

    p {max-width: 35em;} /* set to taste, but always use em */

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-max-width

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-line-height

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-width

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#q4

    > and font size.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#propdef-font-size

    HTH.

    --
    Brian (follow directions in my address to email me)
    http://www.tsmchughs.com/
    Brian, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies schrieb:

    > It seems that there can be too many words on a line. This is a problem
    > with pages that are not fixed width.

    It's really a problem of the ideal relationship of font size/family and
    viewport width. Since most 'windowing' systems allow the user to adjust
    the viewport width, it's no problem at all.

    > I would think that there are already "formulas" for word count, lineheight
    > and column width and font size.

    Yes, and they're all available through google :). But there's more to
    it than simple formulas; the subject matter and nature of your
    publication matters, too. For example, books and newspapers have
    different line length, and both line lengths are ideal for their
    purpose. One size doesn't fit all.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jan 24, 2004
  4. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:06:22 GMT, "Jeff Thies" <>
    wrote:

    > It seems that there can be too many words on a line. This is a problem
    >with pages that are not fixed width.

    Not really, when you consider what the fundamental concepts of a
    windowing user interface are:
    1. the user being able to see the interface to more than one program at
    the same time;
    2. the user being able to adjust the window to the size he/she wants.

    If the user just applies 2, then the problem goes away.

    As has already been mentioned, the CSS 'max-width' property may also
    help.

    > There seems to be a few problems.
    >
    >1) Finding where the next line starts after finishing a long line.
    >
    >2) The pages just look too wordy and it is tiring to read.

    If one leaves the lines very long, yes.

    >I would think that there are already "formulas" for word count, lineheight
    >and column width and font size.

    Well, up to a point. When I spent some time on this a year or so back, I
    discovered recommended line lengths, based on research, that differed by
    30% or so. Personal preference plays a role - I don't think you can pin
    down the "ideal" line length very accurately.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/
    Stephen Poley, Jan 25, 2004