Words to numbers

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by william, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. william

    william Guest

    I'm writing perl scripts to retrieve data from email messages. Here
    are two .txt files.
    ACNI050124_05_04_59.txt

    received fifteen thousand dollars from
    an unaffiliated third party

    Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the
    Securities Exchange Act of 1934,

    involve a number of risks
    and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ
    materially from those presently anticipated.

    ZLDV060318_19_32_11.txt
    We have received one hundred thirty five thousand free trading shares
    from a
    third party not an officer, director or affiliate shareholder for our
    services. We intend to
    sell all these shares now, which could cause the stock to go down,
    resulting in losses for you.
    Do your due diligence before you invest.

    I want to achieve the following output to an excel table.

    filename
    dollars shares
    ACNI050124_05_04_59.txt 15000 -9
    ZLDV060318_19_32_11.txt -9 135000

    -9 simply means that we don't find any information related to shares
    or dollars in the file.

    It seems to be a simple task at first. But I realize that it is quite
    complicated when I start to write the script. Any suggestions from you
    will be highly appreciated.

    William
    william, Sep 25, 2008

  2. william

    cartercc Guest

    On Sep 25, 6:20 pm, william <> wrote:
    > I'm writing perl scripts to retrieve data from email messages. Here
    > are two .txt files.
    > ACNI050124_05_04_59.txt
    >
    > received fifteen thousand dollars from
    > an unaffiliated third party
    >
    > Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the
    > Securities Exchange Act of 1934,
    >
    > involve a number of risks
    > and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ
    > materially from those presently anticipated.
    >
    > ZLDV060318_19_32_11.txt
    > We have received one hundred thirty five thousand free  trading shares
    > from a
    > third party not an officer, director or affiliate shareholder for our
    > services. We intend to
    > sell all these shares now, which could cause the stock to go down,
    > resulting in losses for you.
    > Do your due diligence before you invest.
    >
    > I want to achieve the following output to an excel table.
    >
    > filename
    > dollars                      shares
    > ACNI050124_05_04_59.txt           15000                         -9
    > ZLDV060318_19_32_11.txt               -9                    135000
    >
    > -9 simply means that we don't find any information related to shares
    > or dollars in the file.
    >
    > It seems to be a simple task at first. But I realize that it is quite
    > complicated when I start to write the script. Any suggestions from you
    > will be highly appreciated.
    >
    > William

    This is a common problem in VXML, converting spoken words to text. In
    fact, since there is so much more variation in spoken language than in
    written language (due to accent, tone of voice, quality of voice,
    etc.) it's harder.

    Construct a hash using all known variables as keys to convert into
    numeric values:
    { one => 1,
    two => 2,
    hundred => 00,
    }

    and so on. Be care of variations like 'fifteen hundred' vs. 'one
    thousand five hundred'.

    CC
    cartercc, Oct 14, 2008