    Please help us out because we are all rather new in asp.net version 2.

    Thanks in advance...

    Nick Wouters (newbie)
    Nick Wouters, May 8, 2006

  2. Nick Wouters

    Greg Young Guest

    I would start by setting up a staging server that you can all integrate to /
    test with ... (you can then push from that machine to a hosted environment).
    All development should be done/tested with local copies of a then pushed to
    the integration machine once the functionality is working (depending what
    source control you use, you may be able to automate this step on check ins
    or just make it daily)

    Cheers,

    Greg Young
    MVP - C#

    Greg Young, May 8, 2006

  3. Nick Wouters

    Nick Wouters Guest

    Thanks

    We will try this...

    Best Regards

    Nick

    Nick Wouters, May 8, 2006
  4. Nick Wouters

    V Guest

    Hello Nick,

    I strongly suggest using some kind of source control (try Subversion,
    it is pretty easy to use)...

    Without Source Control it would be very hard for the 9 people to not
    step on each other toes.

    Regards,
    Vaibhav
    V, May 8, 2006
  5. Nick Wouters

    Ray Booysen Guest

    Nick Wouters wrote:
    > Dear All
    >
    > my second question here ->
    >
    > We are going to rebuild an existing website from classic asp to ASP.net v2.
    > We are fully aware we better build this website again, so we made a team of
    > 9 persons who are going to build this website again.
    >
    > Now what is the best way to work in group in ASP.NET , all users have
    > Microsoft Visual Web Developper Express installed and the site
    > is hosted (so not our own webserver).
    >
    > Please help us out because we are all rather new in asp.net version 2.
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > Nick Wouters (newbie)

    Source control is a must. And some sort of a development server to test
    against before uploading.

    And definitely a bug tracking system. With a team of 9 developers, I'm
    guessing that its a big site. Therefore you need something to track
    issues that crop up and have a method to track and fix them.

    Regards
    Ray
    Ray Booysen, May 8, 2006
  6. Subversion works _really_ nicely with FogBugz as a bug tracking system.
    It's pretty cheap as well, and SVN is free software so the two make a
    really powerful, low-cost combo.
    Flinky Wisty Pomm, May 8, 2006
  7. Nick Wouters

    Nick Wouters Guest

    Thanks

    But we don't have our own servers, we are just a group of vollenteers
    working for a non-profit company.
    So there is no money to buy our own server and the 9 people are all on
    different locations.
    The site is pretty big.

    If every user always upload the changed file on a testing directory at the
    host, we can solve that problem but I don't think this is workable.
    I see a lot of disadvantages on this model

    So no solution yet...

    Nick

    Nick Wouters, May 8, 2006
  8. Nick Wouters

    Ray Booysen Guest

    Nick Wouters wrote:
    > Thanks
    >
    > But we don't have our own servers, we are just a group of vollenteers
    > working for a non-profit company.
    > So there is no money to buy our own server and the 9 people are all on
    > different locations.
    > The site is pretty big.
    >
    > If every user always upload the changed file on a testing directory at the
    > host, we can solve that problem but I don't think this is workable.
    > I see a lot of disadvantages on this model
    >
    > So no solution yet...
    >
    > Nick
    >

    > "Flinky Wisty Pomm" <> wrote in message
    >> Subversion works _really_ nicely with FogBugz as a bug tracking system.
    >> It's pretty cheap as well, and SVN is free software so the two make a
    >> really powerful, low-cost combo.

    Nick, What happens if two people work on the same file and upload one
    after the other? It means the first person's work is gone!

    Even for a non-profit organisation, there needs to be some way to handle
    merging of code with some sort of source code management system.

    Regards
    Ray
    Ray Booysen, May 8, 2006
  9. If one of you has a static IP, available for £5 a year from your
    broadband company, you can set up a source control server on a home
    computer. You could even use a service like www.no-ip.org and save
    yourself an annual fiver. There really isn't much need for a high-end
    server, but you WILL regret not having source control when the worst
    happens.

    I've worked both with and without, and I would not ever give up my
    svn/fogbugz combo because it means I can see what's changed, why, and
    roll back any problems that arise. It means that all developers are
    working on fresh code, and once a bug is fixed, it stays fixed -
    there's never the problem where an old version of a file creeps back in
    and breaks something. You should at least look at subversion/tortoise
    SVN - the tools and the server are free, all you need is a machine to
    host the server on.
    Flinky Wisty Pomm, May 8, 2006
  10. Nick Wouters

    Nick Wouters Guest